Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

RAILWAY VIADUCT OVER RIVER DEE AT FERRYHILL JUNCTIONLB46800

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
29/02/2000
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94299 4330
Coordinates
394299, 804330

Description

Lock and Errington, 1848. 11-span railway viaduct over River Dee. 7 principal spans with steel trusses on granite and sandstone piers, corniced with cutwaters, forming crenellated parapet for mesh railings; 4 round-arched sandstone approach spans with polished arch rings and coped parapet.

Statement of Special Interest

In 1850 the first railway train (from the Caledonian railway) crossed the river Dee via the railway viaduct from the south and stopped at Ferryhill Station, where the line then terminated. This line linked Aberdeen to London, and "was to change the travelling and commercial habit of the town in the space of a few years" (Reid, p54). Illustrations in the NMRS show that originally the trusses of the viaduct were wooden arches. These were replaced by the current steel trusses. By 1854 the line began to extend northwards, over "The Arches" (see separate listing), to Guild Street station.

References

Bibliography

1st (1864-65) and 2nd (1901) EDITION OS MAPS; F H Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND: A SURVEY OF SCOTTISH TOPOGRAPHY, STATISTICAL, BIOGRAPHICAL, AND HISTORICAL, Vol 1, (1886), p12; W D Chapman & C F Riley, GRANITE CITY: A PLAN FOR ABERDEEN, (1952), p5; J R Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND: HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS, (1977), p89; J S Reid, MECHANCIAL ABERDEEN, (1990), p54-55; NMRS, DRAWING OF BRIDGE OVER DEE BY LOCK AND ERRINGTON, ABD/348/1.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to RAILWAY VIADUCT OVER RIVER DEE AT FERRYHILL JUNCTION

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/01/2020 15:20