Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

RESTON, MAIN STREET, RESTON PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB46650

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
26/01/2000
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Coldingham
NGR
NT 87846 62087
Coordinates
387846, 662087

Description

Dated 1879, opened 1880, with later additions and alterations. Plain Early English style, rectangular-plan church with single storey vestry adjoined at rear. Squared whinstone rubble (rake-jointed in part); cream sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course; eaves course to E and W. Sandstone quoins; long and short surrounds to pointed-arched, chamfered openings; sandstone mullions; chamfered cills. Plate tracery.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps to gabled entrance projecting at centre with 2-leaf, boarded timber, pointed-arched door; decorative iron hinges; chamfered surround; finialled gablehead. Large plate-traceried windows flanking entrance with pointed-arched hoodmoulds and circular stops. Arched panel aligned above entrance dated '1879' with ogee-shaped hoodmould, circular stops and decorative finial. Buttressed and gabled bellcote surmounting gablehead; bell in place.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: symmetrical 5-bay nave with gabled dormerhead to large, plate-traceried window breaking eaves at centre; single windows in remaining bays to left and right. Vestry recessed to outer right.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: single storey vestry projecting at centre. Squat, plate-traceried windows flanking above with pointed-arched hoodmoulds and circular stops; blind tripartite opening centred in surmounting gablehead.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: symmetrical 5-bay nave with gabled dormerhead to large, plate-traceried window breaking eaves at centre; single windows in remaining bays to left and right. Vestry recessed to outer left.

Predominantly modern timber glazing. Grey slate roof; decorative ridging. Stone-coped skews. Sandstone apex stack to S; various circular cans.

INTERIOR: flat-roofed, rectangular-plan vestibule with bipartite, pointed-arched window to S; part-glazed timber doors to E and W accessing nave (designed to seat 250). Boarded timber floor; boarded timber dado; combed ceiling with timber beams, carved springers and iron cross-beams. Timber pews; 2 pairs of box pews flanking pulpit. Various wall plaques. Panelled pulpit centred in S wall with stair to side; boarded timber door accessing vestry. Communion table and minister's chair from Langton Free Church. Lectern donated 1993.

BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble-coped rubble walls partially enclosing site. Corniced, square-plan gatepiers flanking entrance; 2-leaf iron gates.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Originally a Free Church, built at a cost of ?1250. A relatively plain, but essentially intact structure fronting Reston's Main Street. The retention of the box pews is particularly unusual.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey map, 1860 (not evident). J Robson THE CHURCHES AND CHURCHYARDS OF BERWICKSHIRE (1896) p65. Ordnance Survey map, 1899 (evident). A Thomson COLDINGHAM: PARISH AND PRIORY (1908) p181. G A C Binnie THE CHURCHES AND GRAVEYARDS OF BERWICKSHIRE (1995) pp115-116.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to RESTON, MAIN STREET, RESTON PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/09/2019 08:33