Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

RESTON, MAIN STREET, RESTON HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATEPIERS AND GATELB46649

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
26/01/2000
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Coldingham
NGR
NT 88074 62174
Coordinates
388074, 662174

Description

Mid 19th century with later additions and alterations. Symmetrical 2-storey, 3-bay, classically-detailed house with lower 2-storey, 2-bay addition recessed to left. Squared and snecked tooled red sandstone; cream sandstone dressings. Base course; prominent eaves course. Stugged quoins and long and short surrounds to openings; projecting cills.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps to classical doorpiece centred at ground with paired pilasters, plain frieze, cornice; timber panelled door; decorative round-arched fanlight; moulded round-arched opening. Tripartite windows flanking entrance at ground (narrow side lights); single windows in all bays at 1st floor. Lower addition recessed to left with timber panelled door at ground to right; 4-pane fanlight; single windows at both floors to left.

Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roofs. Prominent wallhead stacks; circular cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATEPIERS AND GATE: low, coped and tooled sandstone wall enclosing site; iron railings above with fleur-de-lys finials. Octagonal-plan gatepiers flanking pedestrian entrance to front; shallow octagonal caps; iron gate with fleur-de-lys finials. Square-plan gatepiers flanking vehicular entrance to front and secondary entrance within; shallow pyramidal caps; gates missing/replaced respectively.

Statement of Special Interest

One of the most prominent houses in Reston. The unusually large eaves course suggests the roof may have been raised at some point.

References

Bibliography

Sharp, Greenwood & Fowler's map, 1826 (not clear). Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (evident).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to RESTON, MAIN STREET, RESTON HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATEPIERS AND GATE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/10/2019 18:54