Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

RESTON, MAIN STREET, RESTON AUCTION MART, SHEEP RINGLB46648

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/01/2000
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Coldingham
NGR
NT 88180 62064
Coordinates
388180, 662064

Description

Probably earlier 20th century, on site of and possibly incorporating earlier structure. Single storey, octagonal-plan sheep ring with later additions to S and E. Boarded timber walls with boarded timber doors and irregularly disposed windows.

INTERIOR: boarded timber walls; open timber roof with plain timber columns and metal fencing surrounding central ring; square-headed opening accessing modern addition (sheep entrance/exit) to S. Boarded timber walls forming office in SW corner. 4-stage, tiered timber benches abutting remaining outer walls. Predominantly concrete flooring (dated '1926'); boarded timber floor to office.

Fixed 2- and 4-pane glazing in timber windows; various rooflights. Louvred, triangular vents in alternate roof facets. Grey slate octagonal roof.

Statement of Special Interest

A good example of a rare building type, still in use as a sheep ring (1999). Although the 1899 OS map shows an octagonal structure on site, the existing building is thought to date from the earlier 20th century, possibly 1926 as dated inside. It is contemporary with the Kittybrewster Auction Mart in Aberdeen, following the favoured octagonal form for cattle and sheep marts, allowing maximum viewing space. A cafe block, said to be contemporary with the sheep ring and still in use, is set to the E.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey map, 1856 (not evident). Ordnance Survey map, 1899 (earlier structure evident). Ordnance Survey map, 1957 (evident).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to RESTON, MAIN STREET, RESTON AUCTION MART, SHEEP RING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/10/2019 09:12