Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

COLDINGHAM, SCHOOL ROAD, COURTBURN HOUSE INCLUDING ANCILLARY STRUCTURE, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATESLB46613

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
26/01/2000
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Coldingham
NGR
NT 90127 66015
Coordinates
390127, 666015

Description

18th century in origin with later additions and alterations. Symmetrical 2-storey, 3-bay house with single storey wing off-set to left at rear forming near T-plan; single storey greenhouse adjoined to side; later 2-storey wing to right at rear forming near F-plan with flanking single storey additions. Harl-pointed rubble to main block; pink sandstone dressings. Base course; narrow quoin strips; long and short surrounds to openings; painted margins; flush cills. Coursed, lightly bull-faced pink sandstone to later wing; crenellated parapets to flanking single storey additions; projecting cills throughout. Single storey, rectangular-plan ancillary structure (former stable/byre) to NW.

SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: principal block with part-glazed timber panelled door centred at ground; 2-pane fanlight; plain surround with bracketed, dentilled canopy. Single windows flanking at ground; single windows in all bays at 1st floor. Single storey greenhouse adjoined to outer left.

SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end with projecting window at ground off-set to right of centre; small window off-set to right above. Bipartite windows in single storey, 2-bay wing recessed to right with lean-to addition to outer right. 2-storey wing set behind with crenellated projection at ground; boarded timber door to outer right; gabled dormerhead to single window breaking eaves off-set to left above.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: principal block with circular window centred at 1st floor; single windows at both floors to outer left. Gabled, single storey projection off-set to left of centre with single window in lean-to addition to front. 2-storey wing projecting to outer right with single window centred at ground; single window single storey addition to left; part-glazed timber door and single window in single storey addition to right; square-headed opening adjoining ancillary structure to outer right.

4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to front; 12-pane glazing at rear. Grey slate roofs; stone-coped skews. Apex and wallhead stacks; various circular and octagonal cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: former stable/byre. Harl-pointed rubble. NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded timber stable door off-set to right. SW (REAR) ELEVATION: single window to right. Pantiled roof; stone-coped skews. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: coped rubble walls partially enclosing site; timber railings above in part. Square-plan, panelled timber gatepiers flanking entrance; finialled, corniced caps; 2-leaf timber gates.

Statement of Special Interest

Notable for the retention of much of its original traditional detailing and unusual in that its rear elevation fronts the road. Documents held by the current occupants (1999) record the house as having been sold to Rev Robert MacLaurin in 1815. The 1858 OS map marks the house as a school.

References

Bibliography

Various records in possession current owners. Sharp, Greenwood & Fowler's map, 1826 (not clear). Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (evident).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to COLDINGHAM, SCHOOL ROAD, COURTBURN HOUSE INCLUDING ANCILLARY STRUCTURE, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 27/01/2023 12:22