Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

33, 35 AND 41 OSWALD STREETLB46591

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
24/01/2000
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58623 65032
Coordinates
258623, 665032

Description

J J Craig, 1901 with later alterations. Near symmetrical, 4-storey, 6-bay, Baroque-detailed warehouse/office block. Red sandstone ashlar; ashlar dressings. Base course; architraved string course between ground and 1st floors; architraved cill courses at 2nd and 3rd floors; mutuled, corniced eaves; coped parapet. Rusticated quoins; Gibbsian surrounds to ground and 3rd floor openings; keystoned, shouldered surrounds to 1st floor windows; keystoned, corniced surrounds to 2nd floor windows with decorative aprons. Sandstone mullions and transoms throughout.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2 bipartite windows centred at ground; large, segmental-arched openings in flanking bays; bipartite window to outer left; single opening to outer right. Regularly fenestrated upper floors with bipartite windows flanking centre; tripartite windows to left and right (columnar mullions and central pediments at 2nd floor); bipartite windows to outer left and right. Shaped pediment centred above dated '1901'.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen 1999.

Plate glass timber windows with small-pane uppers throughout. Grey slate roof. Corniced stacks with circular cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

Statement of Special Interest

A well-detailed, prominent building forming part of a group of warehouses/offices designed by J J Craig for the iron and steel tube manufacturers and exporters, Stewarts & Lloyds. Dated 1901 and completed in 1903, this is the earliest and finest of Craig's 3 neighbouring buildings - the other 2 having been completed in 1906 and 1910 respectively (still in place 1999). Damaged by fire in 2002. Facade retained during conversion to flats circa 2005.

References

Bibliography

E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: GLASGOW (1990) p258.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 33, 35 AND 41 OSWALD STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/05/2022 12:23