Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

AYTON, HIGH STREET, CLOCK TOWER HOUSELB46435

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
28/09/1999
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Ayton
NGR
NT 92303 61099
Coordinates
392303, 661099

Description

Dated 1880, possibly incorporating earlier fabric, with later additions and alterations. Asymmetrical grouping forming end of terrace comprising 6-storey, square-plan clock tower to left with 2-storey, 2-bay range (single bay at 1st floor) slightly recessed to outer right; 2-storey wing projecting at rear forming near L-plan. Squared and snecked whinstone to tower and front elevation adjoining range; sandstone ashlar dressings (weathered in part); painted harl to side and rear. Base course in part; corbelled and castellated parapet to clock tower. Sandstone quoins throughout; long and short surrounds to stop-chamfered openings; chamfered cills to front; projecting cills to side.

SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: tower to left with steps to boarded timber door off-set to left of centre; decorative iron hinges; roll-moulded surround encompassing sandstone plaque dated '1880'. Single windows at 1st and 2nd floors off-set to right and left respectively. Narrow, louvred opening at 3rd floor in bay to right of centre; clock face centred at 4th floor; narrow, louvred opening at 5th floor off-set to left of centre. Projecting parapet with square-plan bartizan to outer right. Adjoining 2-storey range slightly recessed to right with single windows in both bays at ground; bipartite window centred at 1st floor.

SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled block to outer left with blind, single storey, lean-to addition at ground; wallhead stack centred above; regularly fenestrated 2-storey, 2-bay range to right. Clock tower off-set to left behind with clock face centred between louvred openings at upper floors (as above); square-plan bartizan projecting to outer left.

Plate glass timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; replacement rainwater goods. Coped and harled apex stack to SE; circular cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1998.

Statement of Special Interest

A late, well-detailed, prominent survival, fronting Ayton's High Street. The incorporation of a clock tower within a house is most unusual - the near contemporary Baronial towers at Creetown and Gatehouse of Fleet both being free-standing. The Ayton example has characteristics akin to a town hall or major estate office. Clock still in working order 1998. Bell (embossed 'John C Wilson & Co Founders Glasgow AD 1880') removed and displayed separately to E.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey map, 1860 (something on site). Ordnance Survey map, 1899 (evident).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to AYTON, HIGH STREET, CLOCK TOWER HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/09/2023 05:23