Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

SANDAY, STOVE FARMHOUSE AND FARM COTTAGESLB46404

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
16/09/1999
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
Parish
Cross And Burness
NGR
HY 60900 35543
Coordinates
360900, 1035543

Description

Circa 1857 with later alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay square-plan symmetrical farmhouse with centred lean-to entrance porch at ground, piended roof and twin stacks; pair of single storey, 2-bay adjoined cottages to E of farmhouse; row of 6 similar (pair to S roofless) farm cottages, 'Hill Street' to SW of farmhouse. Harl-pointed random rubble to most structures.

FARMHOUSE: S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: window in lean-to porch at ground in bay to centre; boarded door in right return; window at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in each bay flanking.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: window at each floor in each bay.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: window at ground to outer left; blank elsewhere.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay: window at each floor in each bay.

4- and 12-pane timber sash and case windows with some externally double glazed. Grey slate piended roof; stone ridge; corrugated-iron to porch; corniced rubble twin stacks; predominantly cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: decorative cast-iron balusters with timber handrail to central stair; remainder not fully seen, 1998.

COTTAGES: PAIR TO E: N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: centred lean-to entrance porch spanning bays to centre; boarded door to right and left. Window in bay to centre to W cottage. Window, to outer left to E cottage. S (REAR) ELEVATION: central blocked doorway with window in each bay flanking to each cottage.

Various timber-framed windows. Traditional graded stone tiled roof; stone ridge; stone skews; rubble, corniced gablehead stacks to E and W; similar central ridge stack; predominantly cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIORS: not seen, 1998.

ROW TO SW, 'HILL STREET': adjoining cottages forming small terrace, southernmost 2 roofless. Central boarded door with window in each bay flanking to each cottage. Grey slate roof; rubble corniced gablehead and ridge stacks. INTERIORS: not seen, 1998.

Statement of Special Interest

Originally one of the largest farms in Orkney, Stove is a large and important group of buildings on Sanday, 'no more massive structures can be found on any farm in Orkney' (Goodfellow). Mr Francis MacKenzie who owned the farm at the close of the 19th century 'spared no expense in trying to have everything up to date' (Goodfellow), consequently Stove was one of the first farms to introduce mechanisation in the form of a Clayton and Shuttleworth steam-driven threshing machine. Stove has as a complex history of ownership, the present substantial dwelling and farm courtyard replacing more modest accommodation in the mid 19th century. The existence of the farm is recorded on MacKenzie's map of 1750 and by 1793 Samuel Laing of Papdale had subdivided the south promontory into one large and five small farms. In the 1870s the land was squared and in 1920 the farm was bought by the Scottish Board of Agriculture and split into nine small holdings for World War I veterans. On 11th May 1972, a large part of the steading was destroyed by fire, and is now largely derelict (1999).

References

Bibliography

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1845), pp 97-98; A Goodfellow, SANDAY CHURCH HISTORY (1912), p 333; RCAHMS, SCOTTISH FARM BUILDINGS SURVEY, VOL 2, ORKNEY (SANDAY), 1998, pp 24-25; J Gifford, HIGHLAND AND ISLANDS, (Buildings of Scotland Series), (1992),

p 357; H Towrie, STOVE FARM, THE PROBLEMS AND CHOICES, 1919-1922 (RCAHMS ARCHIVE, D9.3 STO) (P), 1993; NMRS PHOTOGRAPHIC ARCHIVE, SC 349312/D15108, SC 349563/C78257.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SANDAY, STOVE FARMHOUSE AND FARM COTTAGES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 03:02