Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CHIRNSIDE STATION (FORMER)LB46355

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
06/09/1999
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Chirnside
NGR
NT 85236 56779
Coordinates
385236, 656779

Description

Opened 1849; closed 1951. Single storey, near L-plan former station complex comprising 5-bay, originally rectangular-plan former station master's house and offices to E with piended addition at rear forming near T-plan; later rectangular-plan, piended waiting room to W. Squared and snecked tooled cream sandstone to E range; droved sandstone dressings; brick-built rear addition. Overhanging timber bracketed eaves; droved quoins; droved long and short surrounds to slightly raised margins; projecting cills. Timber-clad former waiting room with brick base; overhanging timber bracketed eaves. Rectangular-plan former goods shed to NE.

E RANGE, SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: timber panelled door in penultimate bay to outer right; 3-pane fanlight; flanking single windows. Boarded timber door in bay to outer left; plate glass fanlight; single window in subsequent bay to right; blind rectangular panel set between. NE (REAR) ELEVATION: brick-built rear addition projecting at centre; single windows in 2 bays recessed to right; bays obscured to left. NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: large tripartite window centred beneath gable (narrow side-lights). Continuous glazing row in further addition to left. Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs. Brick-built, corniced ridge and apex stacks; various octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods. INTERIOR: converted for use as offices.

FORMER WAITING ROOM, SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: sliding timber panelled door in bay to outer right. Small, bipartite window set beneath eaves in bay to outer left. SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: blind. NW (REAR/PLATFORM) ELEVATION: 4-bay. Sliding timber panelled door in bay to outer left. Tripartite and bipartite glazing rows with 2-pane fanlights in subsequent 2 bays to right. Boarded timber door in bay to outer right. Fixed-pane 2- and 4-pane glazing in timber windows. Grey slate roof. Brick-built, corniced ridge stack; octagonal cans. INTERIOR: whitewashed boarded timber cladding. Original sliding panelled door and simple timber fireplace in place. In use as retail outlet.

PLATFORM: stone-coped, red-brick platform wall in place to NW. Rail tracks removed.

Statement of Special Interest

A rare and well-detailed survival, noted in the OS Name Book as "...a station for passengers and goods on the North British Railway, Dunse branch, in the vicinity of the village of Chirnside." With is sliding timber doors and original fireplace, the timber-clad waiting room is a particularly good example of its type. Last used as a station in 1951, the whole complex is now an office/retail outlet.

References

Bibliography

Sharp, Greenwood & Fowler's map, 1826 (not evident). Ordnance Survey Name Book (1856-1858) Reel 60, Book 7, NMRS. Ordnance Survey map, 1862 (office and station master's house evident). Ordnance Survey map, 1898 (waiting room evident). R V J Butt THE DIRECTORY OF RAILWAY STATIONS (1995) p60. Photographic records, NMRS.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CHIRNSIDE STATION (FORMER)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/05/2019 22:10