Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

PACKCMAN'S BRAE, POLWARTH CROFTS INCLUDING STEADINGLB46329

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
16/08/1999
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Polwarth
NGR
NT 74532 50212
Coordinates
374532, 650212

Description

Possibly late 18th century with later additions and alterations. 2-storey (single storey with attic at rear), 4-bay, rectangular-plan cottage with later single storey, pitched addition at rear. Painted harl; painted margins. Squat rectangular upper windows to front; projecting cills throughout. Steading at rear, forming courtyard.

HOUSE, E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: part-glazed timber panelled door in penultimate bay to outer right; single window aligned above; single windows at both floors in remaining bays to left and right.

N (SIDE) ELEVATION: single window at ground off-set to left of centre; single attic window off-set to right. Single storey addition recessed to outer right with single window in bay to left; boarded timber doors in remaining 2 bays to right.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: part-glazed timber door in penultimate bay to outer left; single windows in flanking bays; single window off-set to right of centre; single storey addition projecting to outer right.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: original house with small-paned door in bay to outer right; single window at ground to left; single attic window off-set to left of centre above. Single storey addition adjoined to outer left.

8- and 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; small skylights at rear. Grey slate roof; cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick apex stacks to N and S; circular cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1998.

STEADING: harl-pointed red rubble sandstone; tooled and droved sandstone dressings. Rubble quoins; long and short surrounds to openings; projecting cills. N RANGE, S (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: boarded timber door off-set to left of centre; small-pane window in bay to outer right. Taller range adjoined to outer left partly obscured by W range. N (REAR) ELEVATION: regularly-spaced small openings spanning full width. Taller range adjoined to right with boarded timber door at ground to left; single window at ground to right; boarded opening breaking eaves off-set to right above. W RANGE, E (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 3-bay former cartshed and granary (?) to right with square-headed cart openings in all bays at ground (boarded timber doors to outer left and right; missing at centre); part-ventilated windows aligned above. Single storey, 2-bay range slightly advanced to left with boarded timber door in bay to right; part-ventilated window in bay to left. Blind elevation to taller, rectangular-plan range advanced to outer left. W (REAR) ELEVATION: various gabled projections running E-W. Forestair accessing gabled upper entrance to rear cartshed and granary. Gable-end of separate N range to outer left with 2-leaf boarded timber door off-set to left of centre.

Predominantly grey slate roofs (some corrugated-iron); stone skews; small skylights. Cast-iron rainwater goods. INTERIORS: not seen 1998.

Statement of Special Interest

Marked on the 1898 map as 'South Crofts'. An intriguing group of buildings, thought to date from the late 18th century. Despite a small addition, the house itself remains fundamentally intact, with some interesting features - the squat upper windows being particularly notable. The associated steading is now predominately used for storage and, like the house, retains much of its original detailing. A square-plan sandstone sundial on a squat, balustered base is set to the S of the house. The inscriptions remain visible and the metal gnomons are in place. The road off which this complex is set is so named after an argument between 2 packmen at St Mungo's Fair - held on the green at the height of village's importance. One of the men was murdered and subsequently buried nearby - his grave being marked on the early Ordnance Survey map.

References

Bibliography

Sharp, Greenwood & Fowler's map, 1826 (something on site). Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (house shown with rear wing). Ordnance Survey map, 1898 (house and steading shown as 1998).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PACKCMAN'S BRAE, POLWARTH CROFTS INCLUDING STEADING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 00:29