Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

PACKMAN'S BRAE, THE OLD SCHOOLHOUSELB46328

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
16/08/1999
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Polwarth
NGR
NT 74604 50203
Coordinates
374604, 650203

Description

Mid 19th century. Single storey, 3-bay former dames' school; now converted as residential. Coursed and painted render to front and side (NE); painted rubble at rear and side (SW); painted long and short dressings. Raised base course in part; projecting cills at rear.

NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: timber panelled door centred at ground; 2-pane fanlight; 4-pane narrow side-lights. Stone-mullioned bipartite window in bay to outer left; single window in bay to outer right.

NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: single window off-set to right of centre.

SE (REAR) ELEVATION: small-paned door in bay to outer left; 2-pane fanlight; single windows in remaining 3 bays to right.

SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2 single windows at ground.

8- and 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; stone skews; moulded skewputts; cast-iron rainwater goods. Coped and painted ridge and apex stacks; various cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1998.

Statement of Special Interest

Recorded in the OS Name Book as "...a neat building in course of erection ... intended to be occupied as a schoolroom for the female children of Polwarth." Built at the expense of Lady

H Campbell (who also provided a yearly salary for the school mistress), the building is now a private residence. The road is so named after an argument between 2 packmen at St Mungo's Fair - held on the green at the height of village's importance. One of the men was murdered and subsequently buried nearby - his grave being marked on the early Ordnance Survey map.

References

Bibliography

Sharp, Greenwood & Fowler's map, 1826 (not evident). Ordnance Survey Name Book (1856-1858) Reel 64, Book 38, NMRS. Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (marked as 'school for girls').

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PACKMAN'S BRAE, THE OLD SCHOOLHOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 00:20