Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CHEVIOT VIEWLB46318

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
16/08/1999
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Polwarth
NGR
NT 74325 50127
Coordinates
374325, 650127

Description

Dated 1809 with later additions and alterations. Single storey with attic, 3-bay rectangular-plan cottage with separate single storey ancillary block at rear later linked by porch, forming L-plan; further lean-to addition beyond. Harl-pointed, squared and coursed tooled red sandstone rubble to front; droved sandstone dressings; harl-pointed rubble to sides and rear. Droved quoins; droved long and short surrounds to openings; flush cills.

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded timber door centred at ground; lintel dated '1809'. Single windows at ground in flanking bays; slate-hung gabled dormers aligned above.

NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled block to left with single window at ground to outer left; small attic light off-set to left of centre. Single window in flat-roofed porch recessed to right. Catslide window breaking eaves in single storey block adjoined to right; lean-to addition to outer right.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: original cottage with single window off-set to right of centre; gabled projection to outer right with lean-to addition at front to left.

SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled block to right with square window at ground to outer left; small attic off-set to right of centre. Boarded timber door to left in porch linking single storey block to outer left.

Border-glazed timber sash and case windows to front; border-glazed timber casement dormers; 6-pane windows at rear. Grey slate roofs; stone skews; cast-iron rainwater goods. Corniced sandstone apex stack to SW; brick-built apex stack to NE; circular cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1998.

Statement of Special Interest

A good, relatively early example of a modest traditional type, pre 1840 and little altered. The symmetrical front elevation and dated lintel are particularly notable.

References

Bibliography

Sharp, Greenwood & Fowler's map, 1826 (evident). Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (evident).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CHEVIOT VIEW

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/02/2020 23:46