Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

237 MORNINGSIDE ROAD, THE CANNY MAN'SLB46297

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/03/1993
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24546 71161
Coordinates
324546, 671161

Description

Circa 1890. Late Victorian public house with fine interior, 2-storey 3-bay square-plan corner block. Grey sandstone, stugged ashlar to front and N with polished dressings, squared and snecked stugged rubble to rear. Base course; moulded string course above ground floor; architraved windows, lugged at 1st floor; overhanging eaves; shouldered and corniced wallhead stacks.

W (Morningside Road) elevation: full-height canted window with half-piend roof to left bay. Lugged doorway to centre bay with string course circled over, 2-leaf panelled door and 3-pane fanlight, flanked by broad bipartite window with timber mullions to right; single window to 1st floor above. Bay to right with further doorway detailed as above and bipartite window at 1st floor.

N (Canaan Lane) elevation: centre bay with doorway flanked by single window to right; paired windows at 1st floor above. Widely spaced outer bays with single windows. 2 short wallhead stacks.

E (rear) elevation: single windows and modern fire escape stair; tall wallhead stack to right of centre. Detached single storey stable block with 2 large openings and gabled hayloft door.

4-pane timber sash and case windows. Green slate piend and platform roof with lead flashings; 3 wallhead stacks (see above), 1 central stack. Moulded eaves gutter.

Interior: main room with corbelled egg and dart cornice, dado panelling with fluted frieze and dentilled cornice, embossed ceiling, timber bar with fielded panelling and fluted pilasters, gantry and fittings with fluted pilasters and dentilled cornice. Side room with reeded panelling, swagged frieze and dentilled cornice, painting of kneeling volunteer by Sam Bough, RSA. Frosted and etched glass to windows and doors.

Low wall to front with later railings, tall wall to rear enclosing courtyard and stable block.

Statement of Special Interest

It's villa type is unusual for a public house. Previously known as 'Volunteers Arms', the original village inn was bought by James Kerr in 1871 and has remained in the same family since. Listed primarily for it's eccentric interior of walls and ceilings decorated with rich collection of bric-a-brac and memorabilia.

References

Bibliography

C J Smith, Historic South Edinburgh, (Edinburgh, 1978), vol 1, pp172-4

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 237 MORNINGSIDE ROAD, THE CANNY MAN'S

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/08/2019 09:44