Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

AIRLIE PARISH KIRK, KIRKTON OF AIRLIELB4621

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
11/06/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
19/05/2014
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Airlie
NGR
NO 31323 51526
Coordinates
331323, 751526

Description

Dated 1781 and 1783; stair additions mid-19th century; 1893 addition to north elevation and interior altered; includes rare medieval period fabric and fixtures. 5-bay nave, rectangular-plan church set within churchyard in rural location. Rendered with painted margins. Stone bellcote to west gable. Round arched windows with flat-arched windows to flanking(outer) bays of nave. Round-arched windows to north elevation addition. Window at centre of south elevation with stained glass dated 1787, keystone and cell inscribed '17 MrIS Mnr 81'. Evidence of earlier entrance opening beneath window. Figurative sculpture of St John the Baptist holding a lamb set into west gable to left of stair addition.

Predominantly multi-paned timber framed windows. Diamond-paned, leaded windows to north elevation addition. Grey-slated, pitched roof. Piended roof to additions.

The interior was seen in 2013. The interior is characterised predominantly by late 19th-century timber fixtures and fittings, including pulpit, pews and boarding to dado rail. Raked gallery to west wall supported on a pair of square timber columns with dentiled cornice and panelled balustrade. The gallery to the east wall was infilled with panelled balustrade and timber columns set into wall, circa 2001. Commemorative marble panel to south wall of church. Simple cornicing to church. Medieval carved aumbry set in wall beneath east staircase. Aumbry carvings include a cross with crown of thorns and a heart with hands and feet representing the five wounds of the passion flanking the apex of the ogee-headed opening, and all flanked by engaged columnettes. The rear of the aumbry has the initials W.F. and the arms of the Fentons of Baikie, all upside down.

Statement of Special Interest

Place of worship no longer in use as such. This former parish church is a rare example of a late 18th-century rural parish church. The later additions to the church complement its simple architectural detailing appropriate for its rural setting and its late 18th-century rectangular-plan form is clearly discernible. It is also a good example of a church with a wide roof span, indicative of timber imports from abroad and improved economic conditions in Scotland (Hay 1957, p.80). Carved fragments of an earlier medieval church on the site have been incorporated into the fabric of this church and are of interest as rare, well-preserved features, as well as tangible evidence of the site's early origins. The building is prominently positioned on an elevated site and is an integral part of the small settlement in which it is situated. The layout of the settlement and its immediate landscape setting appear to have changed little since the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (1901).

Airlie Parish Kirk is dated 1781 and 1783 and replaced an earlier church on the site, built around 1603. This church is understood to have replaced a church dedicated to St Meddan by Bishop de Bernham in 1242. In the west gable is a statue of John the Baptist. The statue may have come from the chapel of St John at Baikie (Jervise, p274) the location of which is marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1865. The Strathmore family held the Barony from 1458 and were known to offer prayers to John the Baptist in particular, and this could be the reason for the statue of John the Baptist in the west gable.

The stairtower additions are first evident on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1865. The National Archives (GD16/45/95) hold various receipts and accounts for the repair of the church and manse between 1826 and 1864. Therefore, the stair towers were likely to have been constructed in this period. An addition to the south elevation and the interior was remodelled in 1893 (Hay, p80).

To the west of the church is the Ministers' Aisle, and both are within the parish kirkyard (see separate listings). Nearby is the Hearse House, Manse, Gig House and niche for the St Meddan statue (see separate listings). These add to the interest to the church as evidence of structures associated with places of worship in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Category changed from A to B, statutory address and listed building record updated in 2014. Previously listed as 'Airlie Parish Kirk'.

References

Bibliography

Jervise, A (1861) Memorials of Angus and the Mearns. Edinburgh. Pp 273-4

Old Statistical Account: Parish of Airlie (1791-99). p210.

Ordnance Survey (1865) Forfarshire, Sheet XXXVII, Six-inches to one mile. Ordnance Survey, London.

MacGibbon, D and Ross, T (1896-7) The Ecclesiastical Architecture of Scotland from the Earliest Christian Times to the Seventeenth Century, Vol 3. Ediinburgh. Pp 452-4.

Ordnance Survey (1901) Forfarshire, Sheet 037.01, 25-inches to one mile. Ordnance Survey, London.

Hay, G (1957) The Architecture of Scottish Post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843. Oxford. Pps 80 and 244.

National Archives of Scotland, GD16/45/95 and GD121/3/63

Royal Commission on the Ancient & Historical Monuments of Scotland, CANMORE, Airlie Parish Church http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/32369/details/ (accessed 18 November 2013).

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to AIRLIE PARISH KIRK, KIRKTON OF AIRLIE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/11/2018 21:52