There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 06/04/1999
- Local Authority: East Dunbartonshire
- Planning Authority: East Dunbartonshire
- Burgh: Bearsden
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 55028 71275
- Coordinates: 255028, 671275
Late 19th century. Single storey and attic, 3-bay, T-plan gabled villa with single storey L-plan wing. White harled with applied half-timbered gables. Timber bargeboards; exposed rafter ends. Irregular fenestration of predominantly tripartite windows with timber mullions and transoms.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central advanced porch with catslide roof and 2-leaf timber-boarded door with side lights; glazed returns; small dormer above. Tripartite window to right with dormer above; tripartite canted window with cornice in 2-storey gable to left; tripartite window above.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: tall wallhead stacks to side elevations. Irregularly fenestrated single storey wing to rear.
Variety of casement windows. Grey slate roofs, jerkin-headed service wing to right at SE elevation. Pair of 20th century skylights to rear. Wallhead stacks with short red clay cans. Plastic and cast-iron rainwater goods.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: coped squared and snecked rubble walls; pedestrian and vehicular gates to left and right of house at SE elevation, gatepiers in round-headed field gate form, contemporary with house, vertically boarded timber gates with railed upper section.
Statement of Special Interest
A well-designed and prominent small villa, built for the Glasgow Corporation waterworks as a watchman's house to oversee the nearby water main valve chamber. A number of watchmen's cottages were constructed at critical points along the course of the conduit, which runs from Loch Katrine to Mugdock and Craigmaddie reservoirs and thence into Glasgow, to ensure the safety and upkeep of the water supply system. This house is the best architecturally (reflecting its up-market location) and least altered of all these cottages.
The Glasgow Corporation Water Works system, which brings water down to Glasgow from Loch Katrine, was admired internationally as an engineering marvel when it was opened in 1860. It was one of the most ambitious civil engineering schemes to have been undertaken in Europe since Antiquity, employing the most advanced surveying and construction techniques available, including the use of machine moulding and vertical casting technologies to produce the cast-iron pipes. The scheme represents the golden age of municipal activity in Scotland and not only provided Glasgow with fresh drinking water, thereby paving the way for a significant increase in hygiene and living standards, but also a source of hydraulic power that was indispensable to the growth of Glasgow's industry as a cheap and clean means of lifting and moving heavy plant in docks, shipyards and warehouses. The civic pride in this achievement is visible in every structure connected with the scheme. The scheme was built in two main phases following Acts of 1855 and 1885. The 1855 phase was opened by Queen Victoria in 1859 and was fully operational by 1860.
List description updated following thematic review of Glasgow waterworks, 2008.
shown on 2nd edition OS map (1899). RCAHMS and Jelle Muylle, Glasgow Corporation Water Works Related Structures, Phase II: Milngavie / Craigmaddie reservoirs and Glasgow City Centre Supply Distribution (survey report, not published, 2008).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.