Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

WARRISTON ROAD AND LOGIE GREEN ROAD, WATERSTON'S PRINTING WORKSLB45962

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
10/03/1999
Supplementary Information Updated
16/01/2019
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25373 75456
Coordinates
325373, 675456

Description

John Breingan, 1902. 3-storey, 14-by-4-bay rectangular-plan, Renaissance detailed offices warehouse. Red sandstone ashlar, brick to rear. Base course, slightly advanced ground floor, cornice and parapet with round-headed pierced panels with dies dividing bays. Timber mullions and transoms.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: entrance in 1st bay with tall blind fanlight above, recessed goods entrance in 10th bay, round-arched keystoned window to outer right, 3-light windows to remaining bays, regular fenestration above.

NE (LOGIE GREEN ROAD) ELEVATION: round-arched key-stoned bays at ground, 2 narrow windows to each floor at bowed corner bay; fluted-Ionic pilastered and dentil corniced doorpiece to centre with spandrels carved, 'INSt 1752, AEDt 1902', flanking windows, stone-mullioned bipartites to left, tripartites to right; regular fenestration above, 2-light windows to left, 3-light to right. 2-storey, 18-bay addition to right (1948) windows at ground, regular fenestration above.

SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: bipartites to each floor at bowed corner bay, 2-light window to 2nd bay at ground, single storey modern garage extension to left at ground, regular fenestration above, 3-light windows to left.

SE (REAR) ELEVATION: extensive additions and alterations to rear.

INTERIOR: not seen 1998.

Fixed timber windows with tilt and turn top-lights, multi-pane glazing.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for G Waterson & Sons of George Street and Hanover Street.

References

Bibliography

Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH, (1988), p646. J R Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND:THE LOWLANDS AND THE BORDERS, 1976, p193.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WARRISTON ROAD AND LOGIE GREEN ROAD, WATERSTON'S PRINTING WORKS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 09:27