Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BALFRON, DUNMORE STREET, MANSEFIELDLB45856

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
13/01/1999
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Balfron
NGR
NS 55068 88668
Coordinates
255068, 688668

Description

Alexander Thomson, 1859-60 with later additions. 2-storey with slightly later single storey service wing and later/late 20th century garage; 2-bay; L-plan villa (former United Presbyterian manse, made T-plan when garage added) with 'Greek' detailing, mullioned windows (including gabled weatherboarded oriel to principal (S) elevation), shallow gables and deep overhanging eaves. Squared and snecked sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Painted margins to openings.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: gabled bay to left with slightly projecting mullioned tripartite to ground floor and weatherboarded mullioned 7-light oriel (with decoratively ornamented gablehead and flanking timber struts) above. Single storey porch (crenellated parapet carved with anthemion designs) to re-entrant angle formed with recessed bay to right; narrow window adjoins projecting bay; entrance with irregular 2-leaf boarded timber door to right return. Mullioned tripartite set back to 1st floor of right bay; small square window to right of ground floor. Single storey service wing recessed slightly to outer right with mullioned bipartite.

W ELEVATION: mainly occupied by gabled bay to left; bipartite window with pilaster mullion to 1st floor; window to left of ground floor. Flat-roofed garage addition adjoins to outer left.

E ELEVATION: gable end of service wing projects to ground floor; mullioned birpartite. Mullioned tripartite set back to 1st floor of gable end of main block.

N ELEVATION: window to left of ground floor; one above to centre. Flat-roofed garage addition projects to right of ground floor. Single storey service wing adjoins to left; entrance to right; window to left.

Mainly 2 and 9-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs (apart from to garage addition). Corniced stack to centre of main block; round cans.

INTERIOR: retains much of Thomson's original decorative scheme: trademark 'Greek' door panelling with vertically divided lower section and horizontal upper panel. Decorative cast-iron balustrade with timber rail. Plasterwork cornices with 'Greek' dentillation and paterae.

Statement of Special Interest

A distinctive intact building by one of Scotland's most accomplished and well-known architects. Alexander 'Greek' Thomson is largely known for the larger scale commercial and ecclesiastical buildings he designed in Glasgow in the mid-later 19th century. He was born in Balfron (at Endrick Cottage on Printers' Row), where his father worked as a bookeeper at the Ballindalloch Cotton Works and moved to Glasgow when he was 7 years old. The house was built as the manse for the United Presbyterian Church. The UP Church minutes of 1 August 1859 detail that the minister, the Rev Mr Robertson, was advised to write to Mr Thomson regarding 'the site for the manse' and the resulting form confirms the attribution to Thomson.

References

Bibliography

Extracts of RECORDS of United Presbyterian Church (1859); appears (minus single storey service bay) on 1865 ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP; 1/2500; Stirlingshire Sheet XV.13; Rev John Stark, Biographical Sketch of Alexander Thomson for Alexander Thomson Memorial Trustees, 1883, in NEWLETTER of Alexander Thomson Society (1998) (also in archives of Glasgow Institute of Archives); R McFadzean, THE LIFE AND WORK OF ALEXANDER THOMSON (1979), p131; Jim Thomson, THE BALFRON HERITAGE (1991) pp12-14.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALFRON, DUNMORE STREET, MANSEFIELD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2024 02:29