Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 23936 68599
323936, 668599


Mid to later 19th century. Pair of semi-rusticated sandstone gatepiers located to W of Comiston House stables along pathway running N from Caiystane Gardens. Square in plan; droved at arrises; projecting upper band course with pyramid cap above. Remains of corroded cast- iron gate to N pier.

Statement of Special Interest

A pair of mid-later 19th century gatepiers constructed at the rear entrance to Comiston House (built 1815 to replace an earlier structure). They are now separated from Comiston House (see separate list entry) by modern housing developments, although they still bear some relation to its former stables (see separate list entry). The following reference to what would appear to be these gatepiers was made by Robert Louis Stevenson in 'Edinburgh: Picturesque Notes': "Hard by at the back gate of Comiston, a belated carter beheld a lady in white with the most beautiful clear shoes upon her feet, who looked upon him in a very ghostly manner, then vanished ...." (quoted from Smith).



curved driveway to Comiston House and adjacent pathway from Swanston to Comiston appear on First Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY map 6" to 1 mile, Edinburgh Sheet 6; surveyed 1853; published 1855; RCHAMS, INVENTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS OF THE CITY OF EDINBURGH (1951) p235; Charles J Smith, HISTORIC SOUTH EDINBURGH, VOL II (first published 1979, this edition 1982) pp400-03.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CAMUS PARK, GATEPIERS TO W OF COMISTON HOUSE STABLES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 12:50