Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CAMUS PARK, COMISTON HOUSE DOVECOTLB45836

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/07/1966
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24004 68604
Coordinates
324004, 668604

Description

Late 16th to early 17th century. Circular tower dovecot, originally angle turret of former Comiston House. Approximately 3.5m diameter and 6m high. Coursed rubble with sandstone dressings. Upper stage projects on sandstone corbels; splayed oval sandstone gun loops to NE and SE below. Low narrow entrance with sandstone surround to NW. Small remaining portion of wall of original dwelling adjoins to N. Top sections of masonry partially missing.

INTERIOR: not inspected (1997).

Statement of Special Interest

An early dovecot, originally part of the former Comiston House. The date of construction of the house is unknown, although it is mentioned in a disposition of the lands of Colmanstoun by John Fairlie in 1608. A building and gardens are shown on the site on William Roy's survey.

References

Bibliography

William Roy's MILITARY SURVEY OF SCOTLAND (1747-55); George A Fothergill, STONES AND CURIOSITIES OF EDINBURGH AND NEIGHBOURHOOD, PT IV (1912) pp139-46; THE BOOK OF THE OLD EDINBURGH CLUB XXV (1945) p175; RCHAMS, INVENTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS OF THE CITY OF EDINBURGH (1951) p235; Charles J Smith, HISTORIC SOUTH EDINBURGH, VOL II (first published 1979, this edition 1982) pp400-03; John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker, EDINBURGH, in 'The Buildings of Scotland' series (first published 1984; this edition 1991) p570.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CAMUS PARK, COMISTON HOUSE DOVECOT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/09/2019 20:36