There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 15/10/1998
- Local Authority: Scottish Borders
- Planning Authority: Scottish Borders
- Parish: Fogo
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 77564 48158
- Coordinates: 377564, 648158
Circa 1870 with later additions and alterations. Asymmetrical 2 storey, 3-bay gabled house with sparing Tudor details. Originally L plan with 2 storey wing at rear forming Z-plan; further single storey with attic wing to NW. Coursed and tooled cream sandstone; sandstone ashlar dressings. Droved quoins; droved long and short surrounds to stop-chamfered openings; sandstone mullions; projecting cills. 2 single storey ancillary structures to W.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: projecting corniced, flat-roofed porch at centre with timber panelled door; plate glass fanlight; single window recessed at 1st floor. Flush, gabled bay breaking eaves to outer right with 4-light corniced canted window at ground; bipartite window aligned at 1st floor; blind shield centred beneath surmounting stack. Gabled bay advanced to outer left with 4-light, corniced canted window at ground; bipartite window aligned at 1st floor; blind opening centred beneath surmounting sandstone finial.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: original wing to outer left with single windows at both floors off-set to right of centre. 3-bay wing recessed to right with narrow window at ground in bay to left; gabled bay breaking eaves at centre with narrow window at ground, single window aligned at 1st floor; bipartite window at ground in subsequent bay to right, single window aligned at 1st floor. Lower wing adjoined to outer right with bipartite window at ground; single window above.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-bay block to right with single window at ground in bay to outer right; gabled bay breaking eaves at centre with single windows at both floors; bipartite windows at both floors in bay to left. 2-storey wing recessed to left with narrow windows at both floors in bay to right; single windows at both floors in bay to left. Projecting wing to outer left with bipartite window centred at ground; single window aligned above; lean-to porch in re-entrant angle recessed to right.
Plate glass, 4-, 10-, 12- and 15-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows (some lying-panes) with some externally applied double glazing. Grey slate roofs; raised stone skews; moulded skewputts. Corniced brick apex stacks; various circular cans. Replacement rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE 1: single storey, 10-bay rectangular plan outbuilding to W (former dairy in part). Sandstone rubble; tooled sandstone dressings. NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded timber door off-set to left of centre; single windows in flanking bays; single window in penultimate bay to outer left; large window in bay to outer left. Boarded timber door off-set to right of centre; single windows in flanking bays; boarded timber door in penultimate bay to outer right; boarded timber garage doors in bay to outer right. Various small pane timber windows; small skylight. Grey slate roof; raised skews; replacement rainwater goods. INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE 2: single storey, 2-bay, rectangular plan long outbuilding to NW (stable). Sandstone rubble; tooled sandstone dressings. SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded timber door at ground off-set to right of centre; small opening aligned beneath apex. NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: widely-spaced bays, single window in bay to outer left; small single window in bay to outer right. 6- and 8- pane glazing in timber windows. Grey slate roof; raised stone skews; replacement rainwater goods. INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
GARDEN WALLS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble-coped, rubble walls enclosing near rectangular-plan walled garden to N with round arched pedestrian entry set in N side. Rubble-coped, rubble boundary walls enclosing site (splayed flanking entrance); timber gates.
Statement of Special Interest
No longer a working farm, Fogorig has been subdivided, leaving the main house separate from the farm buildings set to its W. Nevertheless, the house remains much as it was when first complete, with good detailing throughout. Although Fogorig farm is shown on earlier maps, such as Blackadder's 1797 map, the house itself derives from a later date, not appearing on an Ordnance Survey map until 1900. Rutherfurd refers to a Mr Thomas Allan as farmer here in 1866.
Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (not evident). RUTHERFURD'S SOUTHERN COUNTIES REGISTER AND DIRECTORY (1866, reprinted 1990) p606. Ordnance Survey map, 1900 (evident).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.