Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GLENEAGLES HOTELLB4570

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
08/04/1980
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Parish
Blackford
NGR
NN 91672 11446
Coordinates
291672, 711446

Description

1924-5. Matthew Adam, Glasgow, architect. Charles W

Swanson, Edinburgh, interior decorator. Very large

hotel in Georgian Style. Mostly 3 storeys and garret but

partly 2-storeyed with two garret floors. Walls mainly

brick, harled. Blaxter stone at main entrance doorway,

bow-windows, bay-windows and other architectural

features. Tower over entrance is dated 1924.

Interior: Entrance Hall is panelled in oak and has

richly decorated plaster ceiling. Public Rooms - Lounge,

Sun Lounge (semi-circular) Dining Room, Ball Room (top-

lit by cupolas) - are sumptuously decorated in

eighteenth century manner with coffered ceilings.

Ionic pilasters, swags, etc. Floors are of reinforced

concrete but Ball Room is fitted with Morton's patent

Valtor dancing floor. In first floor, which is reached

by a grand staircase beside the ball room, and upper

floors are over 200 bedrooms. The whole building is

warmed by central heating on low-pressure steam

heating system. There is a swimming pool in a rear wing;

also a large Garage and other out-buildings.

Statement of Special Interest

Gleneagles Hotel is an extensive, prestigious, purpose-built golf resort hotel with excellent interior decoration. A number of extensions and additions have been added to the property over the course of the 20th century, including a leisure complex, but the original building is little altered to the exterior and to its public rooms. The extent and design of the hotel with its French Pavilion roofs echoes some of the railway resort hotels already in existence by this time in mountain resorts in Canada.

In 1910, the General Manager of the Caledonian Railway Company, Donald Matheson had the idea of opening a golf resort hotel in Strathearn. A golf resort hotel was already in existence at Turnberry, on the West coast (see separate listing). Matheson's railway already ran through the valley and he was impressed by the local scenery. From the outset, the idea was to build a luxury hotel where members of the public could travel to the resort by train and relax by playing golf. Increased leisure time and an extensive railway network made the idea of a resort hotel workable. The construction of hotel began in 1914 to a design by James Miller, but this work was interrupted by the First World War. Construction resumed after the war with Matthew Adam, of the Caledonian Railway Divisional Engineer's office as architect.

The King's and Queen's courses at Gleneagles were designed by one of the leading course designers at the time, James Braid.

Scotland is intrinsically linked with the sport of golf and it was the birthplace of the modern game played over 18 holes. So popular was golf in medieval Scotland that it was a dangerous distraction from maintaining military skills in archery and James II prohibited the playing of 'gowf' and football in 1457.

The 'Articles and Laws in Playing Golf', a set of rules whose principles still underpin the game's current regulations, were penned in 1744 by the Company of Gentlemen Golfers (now The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers). Improved transport links and increased leisure time as well as a rise in the middle classes from the mid 19th century onwards increased the popularity of the sport with another peak taking place in the early 1900s.

The sociable aspect of the game encouraged the building of distinctive clubhouses with bar and restaurant facilities. Purpose-built clubhouses date from the mid-nineteenth century onwards, previously clubs had used villas or rooms in an inn near to the course.

At the time of writing (2013), the governing body for amateur golf in Scotland, the Scottish Golf Union (SGU), reported around 550 golf courses in Scotland, representing a total membership of approximately 236,000 golf club members. Scotland has produced a number of famous golf sporting personalities - historically, Old Tom Morris (1821-1908) and James Braid (1870-1950) were the pioneers of their time.

Matthew Adam (1876-1945) worked in Glasgow before joining the Caledonian Railway Company in 1899. He was responsible for the construction of a number of new stations and the extension of others, including Glasgow Central Station.

Notes updated as part of the sporting buildings thematic study (2012-13).

________________________________________________________

References

Bibliography

The Builder CXVII, 1925 pp 524-7 (plans, ills).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLENEAGLES HOTEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/11/2021 06:35