Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

39-45 (ODD NOS) UNION STREET (KNOWN AS 41 1/2, CROWN COURT)LB45666

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020
Date Added
01/10/1998
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94300 6250
Coordinates
394300, 806250

Description

R.G.Wilson, 1903. 5-storey and attic, distinctive and decorative 5-bay Edwardian Baroque office building with shops (altered) to ground. Grey granite ashlar to street elevation (N), coursed granite to rear. Central entrance door with deep consoled segmental canopy. Canted tripartite windows to centre and outside bays rising from 1st storey. Banded rustication to 1st floor with Gibbsian surrounds to windows. Cill courses. Deep mutuled cornice to 4th storey. Partially balustraded parapet. Large semicircular pedimented wallhead dormers with decorative panels.

Predominantly timber plate glass sash and case windows. Grey slate. Broad gable and ridge stacks.

INTERIOR: Not comprehensively seen (2006). Previous fire damage (see Notes) suggests alteration.

Statement of Special Interest

Crown Court is a distinctive and unusual building within the Union Street streetscape both in its Edwardian Baroque style and its height. It is flanked by smaller 4-storey simple classical tenements with shops to ground. Conspicuous amongst the surrounding restrained classical buildings the quality of its decorative detailing enables Crown Court to contribute positively towards the streetscape. The building suffered internal fire damage in 1998 and was subsequently modernised.

R.G.Wilson (1844-1931) was an architect based primarily in Aberdeen. He was in partnership with Alexander Ellis from 1869-96. Wilson's output consisted in the main, of schools, churches and private dwellings in and around Aberdeen.

Union Street was developed after 1794, when a town council meeting asked the engineer Charles Abercrombie to find a way to connect the original steep, muddled Medieval streets of Aberdeen to the surrounding countryside. His plan was for two streets, one of which would run from Castlegate to the Denburn and the other which would run from the Castlegate to the North of the town. The former became Union Street. This was a particularly difficult project to complete as the street had to cut through St Katherine's Hill at the East end and be built on a series of arches culminating with a large bridge at the Denburn. The street was to be lined with classical buildings, but the initial idea of having a long, uniform classical design that each new house would have to conform to was abandoned, as it was realised that different purchasers would require some control over the design Some variety was therefore conceded to. This variety had, however, to conform to the 'uniformity and regularity of the street' and that between each crossroads, the houses had to be the same height, the same number of storeys (4) and have the same pitch of roof.

This building stands on the site of a previous building which was demolished to make way for this one in 1901.

Some fire damage in 1998.

Part of B Group with Nos 5-53, 67-89, 95-139, 143-153 (odd nos) Union Street, Nos 26-42, 46-62, 78-106, 114-144 (even nos) Union Street and St Nicholas Churchyard.

References

Bibliography

Connie Leith, Alexander Ellis 1993 p 135. Scottish Dictionary of Architects www.codexgeo.co.uk

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 39-45 (ODD NOS) UNION STREET (KNOWN AS 41 1/2, CROWN COURT)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2022 11:00