Thomas Scott Sutherland, 1931-32. Art Deco fronted cinema with gabled block of auditorium to rear. Grey granite, polished for dressings, with polished black granite base course, brick band above, brick bands to wallhead and fluted brick panels. Rendered to sides and to rear.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: stepped elevation of interlocking blocks, 9-bay, with additional chamfered corners. Tall recessed centrepiece with 3 box canopy over, extending beyond and clasping flanking bays; 3 pairs of 2-leaf doors with chevron glazing pattern at ground, in panelled timber surrounds, stylised timber keystone to central doors; red tiled jambs to entrance recess; 3 narrow windows in recessed, vertical panels above; quasi-crenellated wallhead with fluted bands. Slightly lower, advanced flanking bays with tall round-arched panels containing narrow window to ground and round-headed light above, in brick dressed outer bays with 2 windows in slightly recessed panels each side. Chamfered bays each with window in round-arched panel (as above), with taller, block-pedimented wallhead.
Largely blank walls to side and rears, relieved by raised pilaster strips at intervals; piend-roofed projection on rear gable end, flanked by lean-to blocks in re-entrant angles.
Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows.
INTERIOR: information from www.scottishcinemas.org.uk: converted for use as health club (2001).
Statement of Special Interest
The last surviving cinema by Scott Sutherland in his home city. The Art Deco influenced stepped blocks at the principal elevation of the former Regent Cinema are distinctive in character, making use of brick banding to offset the severity of the granite ashlar. The design has a monumental emphasis, adding interest to the streetscape. Originally seating 1420 people, the cinema was divided into 3 screens in 1974 and further to 5 screens in 1991.
List Description updated as part of the Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.