Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

VICTORIA ROAD AND VICTORIA GARDENS, ST ANDREWS CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND)LB45562

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/03/1998
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Kirkcaldy
NGR
NT 27795 91964
Coordinates
327795, 691964

Description

William Dow, 1902; altered 1905 by William Williamson, and 1975. Large classical galleried church with giant order pilasters and bellcote; 4-bay aisled nave and single bay vestry. Red sandstone ashlar with coursed rubble to rear, red sandstone quoins and dressings. Base, cill and string courses with plain frieze and eaves cornice and deep, stepped blocking course. Some round-headed openings above ground, pedimented doorcases; architraved surrounds, chamfered reveals and stone transoms and mullions.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: portico to centre bay with steps up to 4-leaf panelled timber door with carved and moulded pediment in doorcase (also pedimented) with flanking Doric columns; 6-part, round-headed transomed window above. Centre bay flanked by pilasters below Ionic columns, and bipartite windows with decorated frieze and balustrade below corniced gallery windows and glazed oculi with laurel-leaf detail; giant order pilasters to outer angles, the whole supporting entablature and pediment. Flanking porches each with steps and dwarf walls leading to 2-leaf panelled timber door in broken pedimented doorcase with further segmental moulding over; corniced tripartite window above with cavetto cill course.

E (VICTORIA GARDENS) ELEVATION: raised basement (church hall) with door to right and 5 windows to left, 6 windows with moulded aprons and heads to 1st stage and 3 round-headed windows (as above) with dividing pilasters to gallery; stepped blocking course above; polygonal bellcote on lead? plinth with balustrade below open columned stage, cavetto cornice and finialled dome to right at roof ridge. Advanced bay to outer right on ground falling steeply to left; small window to 1st stage with pediment incorporated into string course; round-headed window and full-width pediment. Slightly advanced bay to left with pedimented door in moulded segmental surround and small window above. Further advanced, pedimented, lower bay to outer left (1905 extension) with small window to basement and corniced window above.

W ELEVATION: as E elevation but bay to right recessed with window to and lower piended bay (extension) with bipartite window beyond.

S ELEVATION: broad gabled bay and lower, slightly advanced gable of original chancel with glazed oculus at centre; further advanced, pitch-roof of lower extension with dominant corbelled chimney breast to centre above ground rising to wallhead stack, narrow bipartite windows in flanking bays and further small window to outer right.

Leaded, multi-pane glazing with some coloured panes and margins. Grey slates. Cavetto-coped ashlar stack and ashlar-coped skews. Decorative cast-iron weathervane.

INTERIOR: fine, fully fitted interior. Narthex with mosaic floor and fine pedimented doorways with 2-leaf part-glazed, panelled timber screen doors; bronze memorial to both World Wars; stone staircases with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrails. Nave with original fixed timber pews and polygonal columns supporting gallery with moulded arcade springing from part-fluted, Ionic columns; panelled, rounded gallery fronts and decorative timber roof with cast-iron air vents. Raised chancel area with communion table fronting pedimented pulpit with carved backboards and flanking steps. Raised centre tripartite chancel-arch with organ pipes blocking original chancel with round window beyond. Boarded timber dadoes. Full-size basement houses halls, vestry and session room.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Built of Dumfries sandstone, St Andrew's was opened in 1903 as the Victoria Road United Free Church, an extension of St Brycedale's. When the congregation combined with Dunnikier Free Church in 1972 it became St Andrew's. The interior woodwork was donated by A H McIntosh the local furniture manufacturer. Described by Gifford as "more like a town hall than a church." Dow also designed Kirkcaldy's Salvation Army Hall (St Clair Street) and Clydesdale Bank (212-216 High Street).

References

Bibliography

Gifford FIFE (1992), p281. Dean of Guild Records Ref 532, 796. Information courtesy of minister.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to VICTORIA ROAD AND VICTORIA GARDENS, ST ANDREWS CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/12/2019 05:42