There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 26/03/1998
- Local Authority: Fife
- Planning Authority: Fife
- Burgh: Kirkcaldy
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 28249 92420
- Coordinates: 328249, 692420
William Williamson, 1901; extended 1909, 1912 and 1922. 2-storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan, classically detailed former electricity generating station. Rusticated ashlar with polished dressings and channelled quoin strips; squared and snecked rubble to E, and brick to W and N. Base and eaves courses. Round and elliptical-arched windows. Keystones, voussoirs, stone mullions.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: lower bays to centre with 3 broad elliptical-arched, keystoned windows at ground, small window between bays 2 and 3, and door with deep fanlight between bays 3 and 4, all blocked; 3 tripartite windows at 1st floor with further windows between bays. Slightly advanced bay to outer right with broad, keystoned, channelled doorcase and 2-leaf part-glazed timber door with decorative astragals, flanking part-glazed screens and 3-part plate glass fanlight. 1st floor with round-headed, keystoned window with panelled, bracketed apron and oversized mutuled semicircular pediment. Taller, advanced shaped gable with flanking upright scrolls to outer left with 3 keystoned, round-headed windows at 2nd stage and louvered oculus in gablehead.
E ELEVATION: 2 broad gabled bays, that to left with door at ground below tall round-headed window at 2nd stage, bipartite window to left and further window to right. Advanced bay to right with doors to centre and left at ground, and large opening to right; 2 tall round-headed windows (boarded) to centre at 2nd stage with blind oculus to left and shaped gablehead.
N ELEVATION: bays to left with 7 round-headed windows and dividing pilasters and full-width ridge ventilator. Projecting wing to right with wide sliding door at ground, 3 blinded round-headed windows at 2nd stage and glazed oculus in raised centre of gablehead.
W ELEVATION: almost full-height lean-to extension of corrugated iron on brick base.
Grey slate and asbestos. Cavetto-coped ashlar stacks with polygonal cans and ashlar-coped skews.
INTERIOR: W gallery lined with enamel glazed polychrome bricks to S and E, latter also with 8-arch blind arcade. Mobile crane in situ.
Statement of Special Interest
As early as 1896, Professor Kennedy (of Messrs Kennedy and Jenkins) proposed a joint venture between power and tramways for Kirkcaldy. In 1898 he was appointed consultant engineer by the newly formed Tramways and Electric Light Committee. The main contractors were J & P McLauchlan of Larbert, but building was hindered by the difficulty in obtaining sufficient stone from Grange Quarry at Burntisland as well as the necessity for digging engine beds to a depth of 10ft. Three boilers and five engines (2 at 80hp and 3 at 250hp) were supplied by Browett, Lindley & Co Ltd. Victoria Road Power Station first generated electricity on 15th December, 1902, and was formally opened on 28th February, 1903 when the power was officially switched on by Provost Tait at 3pm. Guests from this ceremony were then driven in carriages to Gallatown to inspect the new tramway depot, and returned to town on a tram. The first service tram was run on Monday 2nd March. In 1909 the gallery was extended and a store added, a cooling tower was built in 1912 and a new engine room in 1922.
Gifford FIFE (1992), p287. Dean of Guild Records, Ref 502, 1151, 1284, 1638. Alan Brotchie THE TRAMWAYS OF KIRKCALDY (1978).
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.