Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

13 ST VINCENT STREET, ST VINCENT CHURCH (EPISCOPAL), INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND RAILINGSLB45522

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
24/03/1998
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24942 74574
Coordinates
324942, 674574

Description

J, W H & J M Hay, 1857. English Gothic church, comprising 5-bay nave to S, with 4-bay aisle to N. Stugged, squared and snecked rubble walls; polished ashlar dressings and details including base course, staggered cill course, eaves course, and long and short quoins to windows and corners. Curvilinear tracery.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: buttressed and gabled entrance porch to right of centre, pointed-arch door with roll-moulded head and colonnette to jambs; 2-leaf vertically boarded timber door, with iron hinges and foliate decoration. 2 bays to outer right slightly advanced; square towerlet in penultimate bay, with lancet window facing N, and tall pyramidal stone roof with iron cross finial; vertically boarded timber door to outer right, in recessed pointed arch doorpiece. Bipartite windows in bays to left of porch, in recessed 2 centred arches. Decorative floriate iron hinges. Basement area to left of entrance porch, slightly advanced, with 2-leaf vertically boarded timber doors in segmental arched recessed doorpiece, to right, and infilled doorpiece at centre and left (possibly vaults supporting stone floor).

E ELEVATION: chancel gable slightly lower than nave gable, with aisle gable recessed to outer right; canted vestry set across re-entrant angle between chancel and aisle; corniced, with blocking course; 3 traceried lights centred to E elevation; vertically boarded timber door with decorative iron hinges to N elevation.

S ELEVATION: 5-bay, comprising 3 bipartite pointed arched windows at centre; tripartite pointed arched window in gable breaking eaves, attached to rendered and coped stack, with circular can, to outer left; recessed S elevation of chancel to outer right, with single bipartite pointed arched window at centre.

W ELEVATION: obscured by adjoining terrace.

INTERIOR: circular piers to arcade between nave and aisle; scissor-braced roof. Organ by William Townsend, 1872; rebuilt by Blackett and Howden, 1897.

Variety of traceried curvilinear stained glass windows, including late 19th century lights in E window; heraldic display by A Carrick Whalen, 1975. Grey slate roof, alternating bands with fish-scale slates. Predominantly cross finials to gables. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Ashlar skews copes with gabletted skewputts.

RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS: ashlar copes surmounted by cast-iron railings with foliate cross finials. Stone chamfered square gatepiers with shallow pyramidal caps.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Second New Town A Group, ecclesiastical building in use as such. Although this church is of small scale and has subtle external decoration compared to the neighbouring and dwarfing St Stephen's Church, it is prominently sited between thoroughfares, and its form contrasts well with the surrounding classical tenements.

References

Bibliography

Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984), p358-59.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 13 ST VINCENT STREET, ST VINCENT CHURCH (EPISCOPAL), INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/11/2019 08:08