There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: A
- See notes
- Date Added: 22/02/1971
- Supplementary Information Updated: 12/01/2017
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 11792 76707
- Coordinates: 311792, 676707
Circa 1416. 4-storey L-plan tower house. Random rubble with long and short quoins, some harl pointing. Corbelled and crenellated ashlar parapet of 16th century, with bartizans on external angles; new wing added to NW angle after 1424 license, producing stepped T-plan frontage to south and L-plan frontage to N. Chamfered arrises to external angles of new wing, from 2nd floor upwards.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay comprising regular fenestration at 1st and 2nd floors of advanced central bay; regular fenestration at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors at recessed bay to right, and irregular fenestration at 2nd and 3rd floors at recessed bay to left. Timber door, with iron yett, to re-entrant angle at right. Later addition at ground floor to left, used as carriage house.
W ELEVATION: 2-bay comprising Tudor-arched window at ground floor with ashlar sandstone dressings, at advanced bay to left; irregular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floors at recessed bay to right; blank wall at ground floor to right with Tudor arch linking with stable court (see separate listing).
N ELEVATION: 3-bay comprising irregular fenestration at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors of advanced bay to right; irregular fenestration at ground, 1st and 2nd floors of bays to left. Later addition at NW angle, linking keep with mansion (see separate listing), with single storey lean-to building.
Slit windows, some enlarged and more regular windows; small-pane timber in sash and case and casement/fixed. Platform roof with single look-out turret; graded grey slate roof to water tank; irregularly spaced water-spouts at top of corbel members. Dundas shields to outer faces of bartizans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: mainly barrel-vaulted, with large fireplaces. Fireplace in 1st floor hall with angle supports resisting arch-thrusts. Greatly altered after circa 1820 when used as distillery; detached 17th century mansion removed and extensive enclosing curtain walls built, at least partly on line of previous walls.
Statement of Special Interest
A Group with Dundas Castle, including Blue Acre, Boat House, Brown Acre, Castleloch, Castle Grove, Dovecot, Dundas Loch Bridge, Dundas Mains, Fountain Sundial, Ice House, Lilac Cottage, North Lodge, Rose Cottage, South Lodge and Walled Garden (see separate listings). The family of Dundas of that Ilk owned the barony of Dundas Castle from the beginning of the 12th century to the late 19th century. The diamond shape of the later addition to the NW corner of the keep is most probably due to the steep inclination of the land, as the keep was built on the summit of a hill. The Tudor arched window to the west elevation of the keep seems almost ecclesiastical in design, and suggests that the keep may have contained a chapel for Dundas family private worship.
Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND. VOL. II. (Edinburgh, 1882), p412; Small, MANSIONS AND CASTLES OF THE LOTHIANS. VOL. I. (William Paterson, 1883); McGibbon and Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND. VOL. I (David Douglas, 1887-92/The Mercat Press, 1971), pp328-335; INVENTORY FOR MIDLOTHIAN AND WEST LOTHIAN (The Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland, 1929), pp203-206; McWilliam, EDINBURGH, EXCEPT LOTHIAN (Penguin, 1978), pp51, 191, 192.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.