Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Shetland Islands
Planning Authority
Shetland Islands
HP 60060 1089
460060, 1201089


Dated 1843. Symmetrical plain Italianate hall church comprising wide-gabled 3 x 3-bay hall of square plan with entrance in S gable, and gabled single storey vestry wing centred to N gable. Cement-rendered and lined principal elevation, and harled side and rear walls, with droved and painted ashlar margins to windows and entrance door. Projecting cills to windows.

S (ENTRANCE) GABLE: symmetrical, centre bay slightly advanced with round-arched entrance comprising 2-leaf timber door with border-glazed fanlight in arch-head and date inscribed in keystone; centre bay breaking eaves as square plinth surmounted by open-work bellcote with bell, and bell-cast and ball-finialled pyramidal cap.

W AND E ELEVATIONS: symmetrical, with regularly fenestrated bays.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: shallow-gabled vestry wing advanced at centre of principal gable; vertically-boarded timber door flanked by hoppered border-glazed timber windows in W side, window to left of centre in N gable, and bipartite hoppered and border-glazed window in E side.

Modern border-glazed timber fixed-lights to principal windows. Low-pitched tarred felt roof with square ventilators at ridge terminated to N by cupola and harled 2-flue gablehead stack, coped, with circular cans; corrugated sheet cladding to vestry.

INTERIOR: all timber fittings to hall including pulpit in balustraded enclosure centring N wall beneath circular skylight circumvented by decorative pelmet; wide-boarded wainscoting and raked floor with horizontally boarded pews; centre pews integral with square columns supporting continuous roof beams running N-S, outer pews angled to centre.

BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: harl-pointed rubble wall enclosing church, canted to N with rubble-infilled gate to NW wall, rendered rubble square gatepiers centring S wall with concrete caps.

Statement of Special Interest

In ecclesiastical use. Formerly the United Free Church, it became Church of Scotland in 1929. It is almost identical in design to Hillside Church at Baltasound, which is distinguished by a pedimented bellcote. The proportions of the bellcote plinth at Uyeasound suggest it may have originally had a matching pedimented bellcote. The interior is a remarkable survival, and all the more important as a record of the now gutted interior of Hillside Church. Glazing to the principal windows has recently been replaced to match the previous design, but excluding the hoppered top-lights.



Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p73.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to UYEASOUND, UYEASOUND KIRK (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/11/2022 22:25