Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BOTHWELL, 46 MAIN STREET, ST BRIDE'S CHURCH LODGELB45081

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/03/1998
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Parish
Bothwell
NGR
NS 70429 58599
Coordinates
270429, 658599

Description

Circa 1899 with later alterations and additions. 2-storey single, 2-bay rectangular-plan asymmetrical, gabled gothic church lodge sited to S of St Brides with oriel window to S and canted window to E. Single storey block abutting adjacent property to left (W). Bull-faced red sandstone ashlar with polished dressings. Base course; cill course to 1st floor; crenellated blocking course to oriel and canted windows. Polished long and short surrounds to openings; chamfered reveals to windows; angle buttress to SW; long and short quoins.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: single gabled bay with narrow bowed bay set back to left and lower bridging bay to outer left. Shallow Tudor arched door surround within square frame, set to left of main gabled bay at ground; replacement timber door; foliate carved spandrels; window at ground to centre; pointed-arched 4-light mullioned oriel window above. Narrow window at 1st floor in narrow bay to left. 3-light window at ground in bridging bay to outer left.

E ELEVATION: 3-light canted window at ground in bay to left. Window at ground in bay to right; bipartite, trefoil-headed gabletted window above.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: single gabled bay. window, set to left, with flanking vent, at ground. Low wall with painted masonry to upper section and boarded door enclosing small yard to right.

Mullioned and transommed windows with some casement openings; others fixed. Green slate roof with red clay ridge; red clay finial terminating ridge to W; ridged ashlar coped skews with blocked skewputts; tall ashlar quadruple cluster stack to ridge centre; cast iron rainwater goods with squared hoppers.

INTERIOR: not seen, 1997.

Statement of Special Interest

In 1898 James Donald decided to demolish some rather unsightly buildings around the entrance area to St Brides with a view to the upgrading the appearance of the village centre. He built this lodge as accommodation for the church officer, erected the monument to Joanna Bailie (see separate list description) and planted trees and shrubs nearby. Use of the same strong red sandstone for the lodge ties it to the church and to the monument which stand behind. Ecclesiastical references are made by the use of pointed-arched and trefoil-headed windows, although its domestic purpose is re-affirmed by the existence of the tall central stacks.

References

Bibliography

Does not appear on 2nd edition OS map, 1899; WALKS AROUND BOTHWELL (booklet, c1974) p8; NMRS Photographic Records, LA1059, C39336.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BOTHWELL, 46 MAIN STREET, ST BRIDE'S CHURCH LODGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 14:57