Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BOTHWELL, 7 FAIRYKNOWE GARDENS, MANSFIELD, INCLUDING GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND OUTBUILDINGLB45072

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/03/1998
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Parish
Bothwell
NGR
NS 70593 58659
Coordinates
270593, 658659

Description

Circa 1802 with later alterations and additions. 2-storey near symmetrical 3-bay rectangular-plan house with Italianate details; 2-storey, 2-bay piended roof addition to rear; later canted and square bays to front. Pink ashlar sandstone (stugged, squared sandstone rubble to sides and rear) with polished ashlar dressings. Base course; string course, cornice and Vitruvian scroll parapet above ground floor openings; eaves course; deep timber bracketed eaves. Chamfered mullions and surrounds to windows; long and short quoins.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: raised doorpiece at ground in bay to centre: channelled, chamfered round arch with keystone, set within square pilastered frame with carved spandrels; plain frieze and cornice; steps, flanked by low walls, leading to replaced timber panelled door with semi-circular fanlight; window at 1st floor above. 3 light square bay at ground in bay to right; bipartite window at 1st floor above. 4-light canted bay at ground in bay to right; bipartite window at 1st floor above.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: advanced wing , set to left of centre, with replaced part-glazed door within raised surround, set to outer right; 2 bay returns (see side elevations); bipartite window set high to main block above. Small window at ground to right of addition, close to re-entrant angle.

SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: irregular 3-bay with 2- bay addition, set back, to right. Window, set to right of centre at ground; bipartite window to true centre at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in bays flanking. Window at each floor in bay to right of centre to addition; modern, part-glazed door with letterbox fanlight set close to angle to left.

NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: regular 2-bay, with 2-bay addition set back to left. Window at each floor in bay to outer right. Bipartite window at ground in bay to left; single window at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in each bay to addition.

Predominantly 2- and 4-pane timber sash and case windows; fixed, leaded stair window at rear; grey slate piend-and-platform roof; grey slate to rear wing; paired tall ashlar ridge stacks with bracketed cornices; ashlar coped stacks, evenly disposed at NE (rear) wallhead; tall harled stack to rear wallhead of addition; cast-iron rainwater goods with some uPVC replacements to rear.

INTERIOR: not seen, 1997.

OUTBUILDING: sited to rear (NE) of main house: pitched, gable ended rectangular-plan outbuilding with modern glazed and timbered lean-to addition to front (SW) and to left (NW) and modern fascia to entrance bay to outer left and to long bay to right. Stugged and coursed pink sandstone with droved door surround and strip quoins; leaded skews; cast-iron rainwater goods.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan ashlar sandstone piers with flat square cap, set back to SE of main house; stugged sandstone walls with flat ashlar cope; replacement painted wrought iron gates.

Statement of Special Interest

An illustration in Pagan's ANTIQUITIES OF BOTHWELL shows the Manse in more or less its present form, dated 1802-1865, although stylistically it seems to owe more to 1865 than to 1802; an illustration in Waddell's BY BOTHWELL BANKS shows the Manse at the turn of the 18th century as a single storey, thatched building with garrets. He notes how Dr. McCulloch, the minister of the time, had this new manse erected and, due to a liking for gardening, created an orchard to the rear. The New Statistical Account says, "The manse is large, comfortable, and in good repair. The glebe consists of above 4 acres....There is an orchard of nearly 2 acres, but the soil and the situation are not considered favourable for fruit trees and the crop is precarious". The outbuilding to the rear is now a showroom for an interior decoration business.

References

Bibliography

Appears on 1st edition OS map, 1862; NSA, (1951) p801; J Pagan, THE ANTIQUITIES OF BOTHWELL (1892), p63 (ill.); J J Waddell, BY BOTHWELL BANKS (1904), p118 (reproduction of a map from William Forrest's Survey of Lanarkshire, published 1816), and p207.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BOTHWELL, 7 FAIRYKNOWE GARDENS, MANSFIELD, INCLUDING GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND OUTBUILDING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 14:50