Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

Former Assynt Parish Church (Church of Scotland) excluding scheduled monument 8309, Inchnadamph LB44967

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
19/02/1998
Last Date Amended
09/03/2018
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Assynt
NGR
NC 24933 21998
Coordinates
224933, 921998

Description

Parish Church, built between 1741-1743 with substantial alterations by William C Joass, in 1900. The building is a 5-bay, plain gabled rectangular-plan church with a diminutive spire and harled rubble walls.

The church has gabled, bargeboarded dormerheads to segmental-arched windows on the north (rear) and south (front) elevations. It has a shouldered wallhead with a pink stone chimney stack at the centre. The door to the church is on the outer right; it is boarded with glazed 2-pane upper section. There is evidence of a former window in the east gable.

At the east end of the church is a spire which has a square base and bell-cast pyramidal slate roof and cross finial. It has timber small-pane glazing with 2-pane top-hoppers. The roof is graded grey slate with a stone ridge. The chimney stack as above.

The interior was largely refurbished in 1900. It has a coomb ceiling; boarded dado and pine pews which are angled for the choir. The pulpit is octagonal with a cornice and panelled and corniced back-board and flanking doors. The pulpit may date to the early 19th century.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM8309 (see separate designation record).

Statement of Special Interest

The origins of the church's presence at Assynt are thought to date back to between 1436 and 1443, to a foundation by Angus MacLeod, laird of Assynt. It is thought that the Macleod Burial Vault within the current churchyard is the physical remains of this church. The vault is a scheduled monument (see separate designation).

The new 18th century church was built because of the "poor", condition of the old church, and it cost about £1242 in the currency of the time. The renovations by William C Joass cost £297 and 13 shillings. Former attributions for the church to John Robertson as a new build of about 1900 have been found to be confused with work by this architect on a new church at Lochinver.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM8309 (see separate designation record).

Statutory address revised in 2018. Previously listed as 'INCHNADAMPH, FORMER ASSYNT PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) WITH GRAVEYARD, WALLS AND GATE'.

References

Bibliography

Historic Environment Scotland http://canmore.org.uk/site/4663 reference number CANMORE ID 4663

Highland Council, Sites and Monuments Record MHG12106 http://her.highland.gov.uk/SingleResult.aspx?uid=MHG12106 .

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Former Assynt Parish Church (Church of Scotland) excluding scheduled monument 8309, Inchnadamph

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/03/2024 03:33