There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 16/12/1997
- Local Authority: Scottish Borders
- Planning Authority: Scottish Borders
- Parish: Abbey St Bathans
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 75854 62180
- Coordinates: 375854, 662180
1822 with later additions and alterations. 2-storey with basement, 3 bay plain classical style, rectangular-plan former manse with lower, 2-storey, single bay flanking wings; gabled porch to front; single storey conservatory addition to side. Harl-pointed squared and snecked whinstone; cream sandstone ashlar dressings; painted timber oriel at rear. Whinstone quoins; droved sandstone long and short surrounds to openings; projecting, polished sandstone cills. Single storey, 5-bay rectangular-plan, outbuilding (former stable) to SW. Single storey, single bay coal shed to W.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central block comprising pedimented porch advanced at ground in bay to outer left; single window to centre; timber panelled door in return to left; single window at ground in bay to outer right; single windows in all 3 bays at 1st floor (blocked and painted in bay to outer right). Single windows at both floors in bay recessed to outer right on falling ground. Bipartite window at ground in lean-to projection in bay to left; single window recessed at 1st floor. Single storey conservatory addition to outer left.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: central block with bipartite window at basement off-set to left of centre; single window in bay to right; 4 light canted oriel centred at ground floor; single windows in 2 bays above. Single window at basement in full-height bay on falling ground recessed to outer left; single window in lean-to projection in bay to outer right.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; plate glass timber sash and case oriel window. Graded grey slate roof; raised stone skews at centre; cast-iron rainwater goods. Apex stacks to central block (rendered to SW, red brick to NE); various circular cans. Tall red brick wallhead stack to conservatory; single circular can.
INTERIOR: not seen 1997.
OUTBUILDING: to SW. Harl-pointed rubble; droved sandstone dressings. Boarded timber doors to openings; part grey slate, part corrugated-iron roof; red brick apex stack to S INTERIOR: not seen 1997. COAL SHED: to W. Harl-pointed rubble; tooled sandstone dressings. Boarded timber door off-set to left of centre. Grey slate roof; replacement rainwater goods. INTERIOR: not seen 1997.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble walls enclosing garden.
Statement of Special Interest
A most unusual design. Although John Sked, then the minister of Abbey St Bathans Church, refers to a manse in the late 18th century, it is thought that the existing structure dates from 1822 and a period of development funded by the Turnbull family (see Craw's notes). Heritors of the parish from 1786, the Turnbulls saw to the improvement of existing buildings as well as the erection of new ones - the manse being a good example of the latter. Today, despite a conservatory addition to its side, the Old Manse retains some interesting features. With the emphasis on the vertical, the feel is almost Palladian with its full-height flanking wings and attempt at an overall symmetry. Two wells, one of which is marked on the 1900 Ordnance Survey map as "Nun's Well", are situated within its boundaries - both are now covered.
J Sked THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND (1791-1799) p4; Valuation Roll, Berwickshire, Abbey St Bathans Parish, 1855-56; Ordnance Survey maps, 1857 and 1900 (appears on); J H Craw TYPESCRIPT NOTES, ABBEY ST BATHANS PARISH, Berwickshire Naturalists' Club Library, (1920s);
P Cochrane ABBEY ST BATHANS p18, 24.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.