Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

MAIN STREET, EWART HOUSELB44739

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
28/10/1997
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Whitsome
NGR
NT 86594 50688
Coordinates
386594, 650688

Description

Earlier to mid 19th century (circa 1845?) with later additions and alterations. Near-symmetrical 2-storey, 3-bay house raised from single storey and extended to outer left by absorbing former 2-storey, 2-bay neighbour, forming 5-bay part of irregular terrace. 2-storey gabled addition at rear forming L-plan; flat-roofed single storey addition set in re-entrant angle. Painted and coursed render to front at ground to main block; painted, coursed and tooled sandstone at 1st floor; painted sandstone to 2-bay wing; random rubble sandstone to side. Pebbledash at ground to rear; harl-pointed random rubble sandstone at 1st floor; droved rubble dressings. Raised base course; corniced door; projecting cills at 1st floor.

NW (MAIN STREET) ELEVATION: original 3-bay house with deep-set, part- glazed timber panelled door centred at ground; stop-chamfered corniced surround with blocking course; single window aligned above. Single windows at both floors in flanking bays (smaller window at ground in bay to left). 2-storey bays to left comprising garage door in bay to left; single window above, modern door at ground in bay to right.

SE (REAR) ELEVATION: small opening centred at ground; single window aligned at 1st floor. French door at ground in bay to outer left; single window above. Tripartite window centred in single storey addition projecting at centre; single window at 1st floor. Gabled wing to outer right with single door at ground off-set to left of centre; single window at 1st floor; panel dated "1750" set in above. Single storey addition at ground off-set to right of centre.

Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows (replacement 9-pane window centred at 1st floor to front). Grey slate roof; raised stone skew (right skew mutual with adjoining property). Brick built ridge stacks; various circular cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1997.

Statement of Special Interest

B Group with the adjacent View Holloa and nearby Madera Cottage (see separate list entries). According to the present owner, this is said to have been 3 separate cottages since made into one. Despite various additions at rear, Ewart House retains a degree of architectural interest - most obviously in its corniced doorpiece, timber windows, slate roof and dated panel. The clear distinction between ground and 1st floors (emphasised by the use of different materials) implies that this was originally a single storey dwelling. Similar differences can be seen at View Holloa, suggesting that both houses have at some time been raised to 2-storey. Today, both form an impressive grouping and in doing so, play a significant role within the surrounding streetscape.

References

Bibliography

Appears on Ordnance Survey map, 1856.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MAIN STREET, EWART HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/08/2022 14:25