Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

1 SOUTH BRIDGE, BANK HOTELLB44598

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25958 73631
Coordinates
325958, 673631

Description

W J Walker Todd, 1923. 3-storey and recessed attic storey, 3 x 3 bay monumental, Classical former bank building (currently hotel, 2007) on prominent corner site with principal porticoed elevation to High Street (N) and other elevations to both Niddry Street (E) and South Bridge (W). Ashlar, with channelled rustication to ground and outer pilasters to W, rubble to E. Tall, moulded polished granite base course, raised band course, cill course, deep cornice, blocking course. Greek-key cornice course to attic storey. Deep-set windows to ground. Raised, moulded architraves to upper storey windows, corniced at 1st storey, key-stoned at attic. Carved, decorative cills to 2nd storey windows.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: principal elevation to N with giant fluted, Roman Doric tetrastyle pedimented portico rising through 1st and 2nd storeys with balustraded balcony. Decorative, monogrammed, carved stone emblem to tympanum.

W elevation with off-centre moulded doorpiece with corbelled cornice and glass and timber swing entrance doors. Centre bay with flanking Doric pilasters rising through 1st and 2nd storey.

Predominantly metal casement windows with multi-pane glazing pattern. Piended copper roof with antefixae. Tall, coped wallhead stacks.

INTERIOR: (seen 2007). Substantially altered with some original fabric remaining. Retains tight open-well staircase with metal balustrades and timber banister. Some 2-panel timber doors in round-arched doorways.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a striking, excellently detailed former bank building situated on a prominent corner site at the important junction of High Street and South Bridge. It is a strong, visually dominant element in the streetscape of this central part of the city and it is a powerful terminating structure for the North East section of the South Bridge (see separate listing). The building is particularly notable for its carefully crafted Classical features, including the giant Doric portico, Greek key cornice, copper antifixae and architrave detailing.

The British Linen Company, known as the British Linen Bank from 1906, was taken over by the Bank of Scotland in 1969. The emblem in the tympanum carries the monogram, BLB.

W J Walker Todd's practice merged with that Dick Peddie in 1920 and Todd took over the running of the firm after Peddie's death in 1921. The practice was Edinburgh based and commissions included private and public buildings, mainly in Edinburgh and the surrounding area..

Converted into a hotel 1992.

List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.

References

Bibliography

3rd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1931-2). John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker, The Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1984. p234. Charles McKean, Edinburgh, An Illustrated Architectural Guide, 1992 p26. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.codexgeo.co.uk (accessed 25-06-07). Other information courtesy of manager.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1 SOUTH BRIDGE, BANK HOTEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 09:46