Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

17-19 (ODD NOS) OSBOURNE COURT (WINTON PARK)LB43955

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
20/03/1997
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Burgh
Cockenzie And Portseton
NGR
NT 40272 75601
Coordinates
340272, 675601

Description

Dated 1869. 2-storey, irregular 3-bay Scots Baronial house. Squared and snecked cream sandstone rubble, dressings stugged, droved and chamfered. Cornice base course and hoodmould/string course.

W (FRONT) ELEVATION: southmost bay to right advanced and canted with corbelled crowstepped gablehead, tripartite bay window to ground floor, foreshortened to 1st floor, small window in gablehead. Central door, 6-panelled with plain fanlight, under plaque, with 1st floor window breaking eaves in semicircular dormerhead; flanked to left (N) by window to ground floor, foreshortened to 1st floor and breaking eaves in crowstepped dormerhead. NW corner chamfered with corbelled and moulded pepperpot tower, 3 narrow windows, conical roof and finial.

3 unusual narrow timber dormers in roofspace, moulded and gabled.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Centre bay advanced in rounded stair tower (modern addition incorporating some earlier features), harled with door, central stair window and corbelled crowstepped gablehead. Flanking bays in crowstepped gables, windows to 1st floor symmetrical, as are narrow gablehead windows, ground floor window to N bay only.

S ELEVATION: asymmetrical 3-bay. 3 windows to ground floor, with string course topping westmost only. 2 windows to outer bays at 1st floor.

N ELEVATION: single window to ground floor. Window to 1st floor to E, breaking eaves in crowstepped dormerhead.

Windows mostly timber sash and case, plate glass, recent replacements with horns and vents. Roof with crowstepped gables, graded grey Scotch slates, 2 large gable stacks to W and S, plain cope, cans removed.

Statement of Special Interest

Named as Winton Park in earlier maps, when it had large grounds which are now occupied by a new sheltered housing development called Osbourne Court, for which the old house serves as a warden?s house and social centre.

Carved stones on the front are inscribed WH/SM 1869, IP, WNRE, and the plaque above the door reads "Nisi Dominus Frustra" - ie except the Lord (builds the house, they labour) in vain (that build it) - which is also the motto of Edinburgh.

References

Bibliography

OS Map, Haddingtonshire, 1894.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 17-19 (ODD NOS) OSBOURNE COURT (WINTON PARK)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 01:00