Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

Lighthouse Central (former St Andrews Church), including boundary walls, West Loan, PrestonpansLB43950

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
20/03/1997
Last Date Amended
01/09/2016
Local Authority
East Lothian
Burgh
Prestonpans
NGR
NT 38704 74385
Coordinates
338704, 674385

Description

R Thornton Shiells, 1878. Simple neo-Gothic gabled, 4-bay to sides, porch and stair wings to front (east), vestry to rear. Grey sandstone, squared and snecked to front, otherwise random rubble, dressings stugged and droved.

East (Front) Elevation: dominating symmetrical gable with large pointed- arched 3-light plate traceried window, topped by complex and idiosyncratic Gothic stone bellcote, part corbelled, octagonal with cusp-headed openings and gablets, with apparently truncated ashlar polygonal roof. Gabled porch advanced with doorway in moulded pointed arch, flanked by stair wings in lean-to fashion, each with 2 small lancet windows to front. Flanked in turn by single moulded lancet windows to outer bays. All corners with simple ashlar buttressing.

Side Elevations: 4-bay, symmetrical, 4 moulded lancet windows interspersed by simple ashlar buttresses.

West Elevation: gable with large central pointed-arched 3-light window, with plate tracery (complements front elevation). Elliptical slit opening in gablehead. Vestry advanced at lower level, flanked to north by bipartite lancet window.

Side windows all lancet with horizontal bars (generally 4 or 5). Roofs in grey Welsh slate, although main roof has decorative toothed pattern below ridge in grey-green graded Westmorland slate. Ridge in decorative red clay tiles. Skews in saddleback ashlar, complex Gothic bellcote to east gable, stair finial to west gable.

Interior: pleasing simple interior, roof supported by Gothic braces resting on slim iron columns also supporting side galleries. Stained glass with text panels and motifs of intertwining fruit and flowers by Ballantine and Gardiner, 1896.

Gates and Walls: plain square gatepiers to entrance in ashlar with pyramidal cope, flanked by low walls in squared and snecked sandstone with ashlar cope and modern railings. Side walls in random rubble.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. This was constructed for the Free Church, replacing a much inferior structure on the same site. It reunited with the Church of Scotland in 1929 and merged with the Parish Church in 1981. It was subsequently taken over by the Scottish Episcopal Church and renamed St Andrew s Church, but is locally referred to as the "English Church".

Statutory address revised in 2016. Previously listed as 'West Loan, Grange Church, St Andrews Episcopal Church with Boundary Walls'.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 210126

Maps

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1892, 1893 published 1894) Haddingtonshire 009.05 (includes: Prestonpans; Tranent). 25 inches to 1 mile. 2nd Edition. Southampton:Ordnance Survey.

Printed Sources

McWilliam, C. (1978) The Buildings of Scotland: Lothian, except Edinburgh. Harmondsworth: Penguin. p.399.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Lighthouse Central (former St Andrews Church), including boundary walls, West Loan, Prestonpans

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 00:48