Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ROCK COTTAGELB43949

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
20/03/1997
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Burgh
Prestonpans
NGR
NT 38681 74578
Coordinates
338681, 674578

Description

Possibly 17th century in origin, altered, with mid 19th century detailing. Single storey, irregular 3-bay cottage above cellar, jutting out on shore into Firth of Forth as if growing out of coastal rock. Very random sandstone, some blocks massive and eroded, partly rendered. Walls raked against sea.

E elevation with S section recessed and rendered with steeper roof pitch and incorporating modern glazed timber porch and door. 2 windows flanking, that to N with droved and painted margins. W elevation with boarded cellar door below ancient timber lintel; main floor with

3 windows, asymmetrical and altered with margins raised (in cement) and painted. 2 foreshortened windows to upper N gable, which is roughly cement rendered.

Windows all modern uPVC with dummy astragals. Roof in ungraded Welsh slates, gabled with skews plus central skew. Tall brick stack at S gable plus brick stack on ridge, plain cans.

Statement of Special Interest

An odd building, probably of ancient vintage, which could repay research into its origins and use - there is much vague physical evidence of changes to its extent and openings. Rock Cottage is unusually-sited, reminiscent of the "lodberries" of Lerwick. This little house is listed partly as a rare vestige of an earlier species of vernacular buildings in Prestonpans, although survivors such as Hamilton House in adjoining Preston give a grander favour of the period. In 1907, Prestonpans was described as "one continuous village of old houses, set down with grotesque rather than picturesque irregularity (C E Green)". Several ancient structures are described and illustrated in McGibbon and Ross, "The Castellated and Domestic Architecture of Scotland", Vol V, p 51-57 (1892). These have been totally swept away in the 20th century, though many photographs survive to their memory.

References

Bibliography

OS Map, Haddingtonshire, 1854.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ROCK COTTAGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 01:03