Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
NT 38927 74493
338927, 674493


Later (?) 18th century in plain classical style, substantial enlargement circa 1840 in Scots Baronial style to S and E. Building of complicated L-plan rising from 2 levels, 2-storey to front (S), 3-storey to rear (N). Original section to N in roughly squared and coursed brown sandstone rubble, roughly dressed margins, probably originally harled. Enlargement in squared and snecked sandstone, with ashlar dressings generally stugged, droved and chamfered.

S (FRONT) ELEVATION: (1840s) 2 tall bays to left (body of 1840s addition) with gabled bay to outer left, corbelled at 1st floor level with tripartite window to ground, smaller tripartite window to 1st floor, blind slit opening in gablehead; right bay with bipartite window to ground, gableheaded window to 1st floor breaking eaves. Original 18th century house set well back to right NE with single storey porch (1840s) in re-entrant angle (cornice and parapet, 6-panelled 2-leaf door with 2-pane fanlight, single window to E. Outer right bay (1840s) single storey with loft and basement and is further recessed with single tripartite window below small gablehead.

E ELEVATION: complicated. Presents 3 gables and 4 bays. 2 eastmost bays (1840s) incorporate projecting porch and single window to ground, 2 windows to 1st floor, that above porch shouldered with ornately moulded surround and pedimented windowhead. Next bay to N (original) advanced with single window to ground and 1st floors. Northmost bay is lower gabled feature (1840s) with openings at 3 levels - small window to basement, windows to ground floor and small, round-arched window in gablehead.

N ELEVATION: original house forms main section on right (W), 3-storey, 3-bay, symmetrical; plain central door, 6-panelled with top 2 panels glazed, flanked by 2 windows; 3 windows to 1st floor, upper "sash" of central window blind; 3 windows to 2nd floor, central window slightly dropped. Lower section on left (1840s) with single window and 2 small windows on lower gabled outshot, which incorporates door and entrance stair to E.

W ELEVATION: irregular and undistinguished. Gabled section to rear (original) with 2 windows to ground, 1 window to 1st floor, and 1 small window in gablehead. 1 window to ground and 1st floor in next bay to right (S); southern section (1840s) blank.

Fenestration in timber sash and case but irregular, mostly plate glass in 1840s sections. Otherwise varied, with some original 12-pane surviving. Roofs all gabled, in graded Scotch slate. Original house with plain skews and moulded skewputts, 1840s enlargement with Baronial style crowsteps and decorative finials.

Original house with 2 gable stacks, westmost in ashlar with plain cope and 4 octagonal cans, eastmost rebuilt and smooth roughcast with

4 plain cans. 1840s sections with 3 smaller stacks, moulded copes and octagonal cans. Decorative rainwater hoppers and square-section downpipes on 1840s sections.

OUTBUILDINGS: 2 lean-to stone sheds against walls to W at rear of original house, 1 roofed in slate, 1 in modern sheeting.

WALLS AND GATEWAYS: 8 ft rubble wall on all sides, ridge cope in northern sections (older), dressed and rounded cope to southern sections. Gatepiers 1840s, to SE corner, set back in short quadrant walls, square-section red ashlar with projecting pyramidal caps. Pedestrian gateway in E wall also in red ashlar. Internal garden wall incorporates pediment and finial of infilled late 17th century (?) gateway.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly the manse, and may be contemporary with 1774 enlargement of Parish Church (see separate listing). The listing does not include the steading and stable buildings to the north.



OS Map, Haddingtonshire, 1854. C McWilliam, Lothian, 1976, p401.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to EAST LOAN, WINFIELDS WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEWAYS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 00:51