James Malcolm Baikie of Kirkwall, 1911. 5 x 1-bay gothic church of rectangular plan with gabled entrance porches projecting in outer left bays of N and S elevations, and apsed chancel projecting from W elevation. Bull-faced squared and snecked Bressay freestone with polished Eday sandstone ashlar dressings and details. Base and eaves courses, angle buttresses at corners.
N (HARBOUR STREET) ELEVATION: 5-bay asymmetrical elevation with bays divided by buttresses; gabled porch projecting in bay to outer left comprising pointed-arched hoodmoulded door in gable, arcaded 2-light window with pointed arch-heads in E side. 2-light trefoil-headed plate traceried windows with hoodmoulded pointed-arched surrounds in bays to right.
E (ST OLAF STREET) ELEVATION: stepped, arcaded, and hoodmoulded 3-light window centring gable with blind trefoil in gablehead.
S ELEVATION: mirrored image of N elevation except for 2-light window also in E side of porch.
W ELEVATION: apsidal chancel projecting with lancets in side elevations; semicircular end buttressed at poles; deep moulded eaves course. Blind trefoil centred in gablehead above.
Purple-grey slate roofs to main pitches, porches and apse; fishscale pattern to latter. Profiled cast-iron gutters and octagonal downpipes with hoppers and decorative brackets. Triangular ashlar skew copes with stone crosses at apexes of principal and porch gables.
INTERIOR: 2-leaf inner entrance door with vertically-boarded panelling. Marble memorial slab to Margaret Cruickshanks (benefactress of the church who died in 1910) on E window cill. Timber floor, pews, and vertically-boarded wainscoting to nave. Diamond pattern glazing with coloured glass to windows; stained glass by C R Sinclair of 1986 in E window depicting modern and historic Shetland industry. Open timber roof over 4 pointed-arched trusses bearing on plain ashlar corbels. Large pointed-arched hoodmoulded opening to sanctuary; ornate timber screen fronted by altar with carved relief of Last Supper; niche containing cross centring screen with carved cross above, smaller flanking niches containing religious figures.
87 ST OLAF STREET (PRESBYTERY): circa 1910. 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical house of rectangular plan. Bull-faced squared and snecked sandstone principal front, rubble side and rear elevations, all with droved ashlar dressings. 4-panel timber entrance door with plate glass fanlight above at ground in centre bay. Single storey, 3-light canted bays in flanking bays, each with cill course, cornice and blocking course. Regular fenestration at 1st floor with bipartite windows in outer bays. Blank S gable; 2 closely spaced windows at 1st floor to right of centre in N gable. Modern lean-to additions at ground to rear elevation; tall stair window centred at 1st floor; irregular fenestration in flanking bays.
Timber sash and case windows; predominantly plate glass, 4-pane centring canted bays, 21-pane border-glazed fixed-light to stair window. Purple-grey slate roof with cast-iron gutters and downpipes with hopper at right. Bull-faced sandstone apex stacks, coped with octagonal cans.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES, AND GATEPIERS: bull-faced sandstone dwarf wall with droved ashlar cope surmounted by Art Nouveau influenced cast-iron railing to Harbour and St Olaf Streets. Bull-faced sandstone square gatepiers to church with droved ashlar pyramidal caps and 2-leaf cast-iron gates matching railing. Random rubble boundary wall to W. Cast-iron gate matching railing to presbytery.