There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 12/08/1996
- Local Authority: Shetland Islands
- Planning Authority: Shetland Islands
- Burgh: Lerwick
National Grid Reference
- NGR: HU 47409 41480
- Coordinates: 447409, 1141480
T L Bruce, 1909-11. 7 x 1-bay gabled church hall with 3-stage square plan tower at SW corner, and modern 2-storey addition obscuring E gable. Bull-faced squared and snecked principal elevation and tower with stugged and polished dressings and details; harled side elevations with cement dressings.
TOWER: base course, battered angle buttresses at 1st stage, cornices over 1st and 2nd stages, each with round-arched windows to S and W faces. 3rd stage; each face with blind roundel below string course; tall bipartite windows with round-arched lights; cornice and crenellated parapet above
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: gable end of hall with base course; round-arched vertically-boarded 2-leaf timber entrance door with moulded surround at centre; segmental-arched 4-light window with cavetto-moulded cill and hoodmould over.
N ELEVATION: 7-bay elevation; tall round-arched windows with long and short dressings in each bay.
S ELEVATION: 5-bay elevation with round-arched windows with long and short dressing in each bay to right of tower.
Leaded stained glass W window; modern glazing elsewhere except for 4-pane fixed-lights to upper stage of tower. Purple-grey slate roof with decorative terracotta ridge tiles. Matching ridge tiles to dormered timber ventilators, slated, with louvered gables. Crowstepped gables with Celtic crosses at apexes.
PEDESTALS, STEPS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: panelled square ashlar pedestals (lamp standards now gone) with rustic bases and moulded caps flanking entrance door. Concrete covered steps to door from stugged and droved square ashlar entrance gatepiers with bases and pyramidal caps; flanking bull-faced dwarf wall with ashlar cope, terminated to N and S by matching piers. Random rubble wall boundary wall with saddleback cope to S, modern wall to N.
INTERIOR: vertically-boarded timber wainscoting to hall; round-arched niche centring E wall with flanking 4-panel timber doors. Open timber roof with trusses bearing on stone corbels.
Statement of Special Interest
The Woman?s Guild initiated a scheme for the erection of a building that would serve the dual purpose of providing Lerwick Parish Church with a church hall of its own, and providing separate accommodation for the Dutch and other foreign fishermen. T L Bruce produced the design and Peter Thomson was appointed contractor with a tender of ?1615. The work was completed in 1911 and the Rev A J Campbell performed the opening ceremony. The Dutchmen made regular use of the building, and a stained glass window was presented by the Dutch Reformed Churches from fishing communities in the Netherlands. By 1966, with St Olaf?s in use as a hall too, St Clement?s was finally sold to Lerwick Town Council for recreational use. An old photograph of the W elevation shows 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber entrance doors flanked by cast-iron lamp standards (on the existing stone plinths) with globe lanterns, and simple cast-iron railings with widely-spaced ball-finialled stanchions and 2-leaf cast-iron gates. Another view shows a single storey crowstepped building along the E elevation. The tower of this hall is a distinctive landmark in this part of the town.
Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p29. E J F Clausen and T M Y Manson 150TH ANNIVERSARY OF LERWICK PARISH CHURCH (1979) p8 and 18. Shetland Islands Council Archive. James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) p177, plates 63 and 65. Norman Hudson SOUVENIR POSTCARDS FROM SHETLAND (1992) p19. John Gifford HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992) p486.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.