Circa 1800. 2-storey over concealed basement, 3-bay tenement with shop at ground. Random rubble walls, cement-rendered and lined at shopfront.
S (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical, margined 9-panel flush-beaded timber door with infilled fanlight and corniced lintel centred at principal floor, 6-panel 2-leaf door adjacent to left, 6-panel, 2-leaf flush-beaded timber door with infilled fanlight adjacent at right. 2-pane fixed-light shop window in bay to outer left, 4-pane and plate glass timber sash and case windows closely spaced in bay to outer right; regular fenestration at 1st floor.
W ELEVATION: 2-bay gable end, ground floor windows widely spaced.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, basement obscured at centre and to right by modern concrete balcony accessing harled and gabled porch projecting at centre of principal floor. 4-pane fixed-lights at basement to left of centre. Regular fenestration in outer bays at principal and 1st floors; rubble-infilled window at intermediate level in centre bay with additional window inserted immediately to left.
E ELEVATION: single 4-pane fixed-light centred at basement.
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows, purple-grey slate roof, stugged sandstone apex stacks, coped with circular cans, cement-rendered ashlar skew copes and bracketted skewputts.
Statement of Special Interest
Prior to the building of the Esplanade, this was known as Clark?s Court. Clark?s house, shop, and lodberry, later to be named Seamen?s House, were built about 1796. A photograph of circa 1975 shows a single 12-pane timber sash and case window surviving at the 1st floor. Re-instatement of the 12-pane pattern and fanlights over the doors to Commercial Street would result in a distinguished S elevation. This building, however, continues to make an important contribution to the fabric of Commercial Street, and the view of the town from the harbour.