Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

THE GRANGE CLUB PAVILION, PORTGOWER PLACE, EDINBURGHLB43497

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
12/06/1996
Supplementary Information Updated
14/01/2014
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24357 74758
Coordinates
324357, 674758

Description

Cunningham, Blyth and Westland, 1892-5; 1909 repairs to roof; 1950s addition to S (groundsman's accommodation) and some internal remodelling; 1998 repairs by David Greig Sibbald of The Carl Fisher Sibbald Partnership. 2-storey and attic, 5-bay rectangular-plan, pavilion facing cricket pitch to N; N elevation with tiered terrace projecting from ground floor and to pitch of roof; square-plan tower to centre. Squared and snecked sandstone with red sandstone ashlar dressings at ground floor and stacks; half-timbering with rendered noggin and painted margins to upper floors and tower. Corniced ground floor. Predominantly timber mullions and transoms. Plain bargeboarding to gables. 1950s addition to S elevation; 1976 squash courts to E linked to pavilion by 1980s entrance section.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 6-tiered terrace at ground floor 5-tiered to roof, both with ergonomic teak-slatted and wrought-iron benches and cast-iron balustrades. Full width veranda at 1st floor with slightly advanced gabled porch to centre, all supported on turned timber columns, clock and decorative relief to gablehead; set back face with 2-leaf partly glazed timber door to centre flanked by narrow sidelights and multipane rectangular fanlight; tripartite mullioned and transomed window to each flanking bay, each central light broader than those flanking, multi-paned above transom. Tower with partly-glazed 2-leaf door to centre, flanked by narrow windows.

E ELEVATION: asymmetric gable. Tripartite window at ground floor to left; 4 windows to right. Tripartite mullioned and transomed window with panelled apron and cornice at 1st floor and attic, of various sizes. Segmental arched window with timber boarded apron at 1st floor to outer right, to enclose veranda.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 bay; stepped. Tripartite windows at ground floor to left with stone mullions; tripartite windows to centre bay between floors (staircase) and tower; bipartite mullioned and transomed windows at 1st floor and attic to right. 1950s single storey, brick, flat-roofed addition to right.

W ELEVATION: asymmetric gable. Tripartite transomed window with panelled apron and cornice at 1st floor, that to left of larger size. Segmental arched window with timber boarded apron at 1st floor to outer left, to enclose veranda. 1980s single storey entrance addition at ground floor.

Multipane timber windows. Pitched roof, clay tiles, decorative ridge tiles and finials; pyramidal roof to tower, with fish-scale tiled section; topped by decorative cast iron weathervane; flat roof to 1950s addition. Tower flanked by coped wallhead stacks with variety of clay cans. Exposed rafters ends to eaves; bracketed eaves to tower. Moulded guttering.

INTERIOR: (seen 2013). fine decorative scheme at 1st floor principal rooms and circulation space, characterised by timber fixtures and fittings. Plan arranged around half-turn with landings stone staircase to rear, with cast-iron balustrade and timber handrail; walls with timber boarding to dado and doors from staircase set within round- arched corbelled and keystone opening. Principal room at 1st floor to N known as 'Long Room', with panelled and pilastered timber architraves, timber boarding to dado; panelled and pilastered fireplaces with dentilled over-mantel; boarded and trussed roof with scrolled corbels; 1998 folding partition dividing room. Predominantly panelled timber doors; some timber lockers and benches to ground floor changing rooms.

Statement of Special Interest

The Grange Club pavilion is a fine and distinctive example of a purpose built sports pavilion. The design is particularly unusual with tiered seating at 2 levels, including, exceptionally, to the roof pitch. The building has good architectural detailing, such as half timbering, and a landmark tower. The decorative scheme to the interior compliments the quality of the exterior detailing, particularly the Long Room, which is modelled on the renowed Marylebone Cricket Club's 'Long Room' at Lords Cricket Ground, London. Later alterations to the building are sympathetic to the original design.

Established in 1832 the Grange club was so called because it was originally located in the Grange area of Edinburgh. The club relocated a few times before moving to its present location in 1872, and used a small pavilion which was located to the N of the current one. In the early 1890s the Grange Cricket Club wanted a new pavilion, and since the disbanding of the Scottish Cricket Union in 1884, the Grange Club was assuming responsibility for the cricket affairs in Scotland. Therefore a high quality pavilion was required to reflect the status of the club.

The first proposals were for a larger building with an off centre tower, but for cost reasons this was reduced in size and the tower was centralised. The pavilion cost £1,400 and was officially opened on 29 June 1895 by Lord Moncrieff. An inaugural match was held between Scotland and Gloucester, with the visiting team captained by the well-known W G Grace.

The Grange Club was incorporated in 1972 and it expanded to become a multi-sports club, including hockey, tennis and squash, as well as cricket. However, the club's association with tennis stems back to the late 19th century when the Dyvours Club, founded in 1883, played on the grounds.

Since its completion changes have been made to the building, such as a 1950s addition to south elevation for groundsman accommodation, 1976 squash courts to the east linked to the pavilion by a 1980s entrance section and various interior remodelling. In 1998 the building was extensively repaired and restored to designs by David G Sibbald, a former chairman of the Grange Club. This work included the repair of the external fabric and the reconstruction of the lower and upper terrace, with the reinstatement of the original spectator seating, based on original mouldings. Internally a folding partition was installed to the long room, to replace the 1960s fixed screen, and improve the flexibility of use.

Cricket has been played in Scotland since the early 19th century and it is thought to have arrived in England around the same time. It was a significant sport in Scotland in terms of popularity at the time. The team arrangement and constitution of cricket generally provided an early formal structure that was easily adopted by other developing sports in the United Kingdom, resulting in turn in their rapid advancement. Many cricket grounds were the first playing grounds available to organised sport and they were also used for early football and rugby matches.

The architecture practice of Cunningham Blyth & Westland dates from 1886, but originates from the practice B & E Blyth founded in 1848, for which both George Miller Cunningham and Benjamin Hall Blyth Junior worked. The years 1870 to 1900 were the Blyth firm's busiest, mainly with railway work. Benjamin Hall Blyth Junior was a civil engineer, who through his role as consulting engineer to the North British and Great North of Scotland Railways, was involved in the design of the reconstruction of North Bridge and alterations to Waverley Station, Edinburgh. He had a keen interest in sports. He was captain of the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers in 1880-81 and was involved in the design of their course and clubhouse at Muirfield. The Grange Club Pavilion is similar in detail to the Clubhouse at Muirfield, through the use of half timbering decorative interior timberwork.

Category changed from B to A and list description updated as part of the sporting buildings thematic study (2012-13).

References

Bibliography

The Builder (8 October 1892). J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988), pp403-4. The Grange Club, The Pavilion Centenary Appeal Brochure (1996). http://www.thegrangeclub.com/ (accessed 24 April 2013). http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/building_full.php?id=204087 (accessed 24 April 2013).

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to THE GRANGE CLUB PAVILION, PORTGOWER PLACE, EDINBURGH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/01/2019 05:26