Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 24089 73915
324089, 673915


Robert Wilson, 1874-5, later addition 1892 (also Robert Wilson); converted to residential flats, 1985. 2 and 3 storeys with attic and raised basement to rear, T-plan plain classical former board school; addition of later wing creating F plan. Squared snecked and stugged sandstone with polished dressings and quoins. Moulded 1st floor cill course; Tudor arched windows at ground and 1st floors pointed arched windows above, depressed at ground and to sides; chamfered arises.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 5 large symmetrical bays. Slightly advanced 2-bay gabled centrepiece with belcote to gable apex. Bipartite transomed ground floor windows. Plaque of Edinburgh School Board, dated 1875, to central gable between ground and 1st floors, flanked by small single windows; stepped tripartite window above; hoodmoulded oculus to gable apex. Bipartite windows at ground and 1st floors, breaking eaves with gabled 1st floor dormer-heads and blind oculus to flanking bays; lower bays far left and right with similar bipartite windows. Main entrance with later piend roof in re-entrant angle to N. 2-storey flying link to former lodge oversailing lane to N.

S ELEVATION: broad irregular elevation, with deep basement storeys falling to Water of Leith in later addition to left (W). Irregular 2-bay gable to right (E) with doorway at ground floor in pointed arched surround, with bipartite mullioned window to right (E). Irregular fenestration at 1st floor with twin pointed arched windows to left (W) with rectangular window to far left of gable. Pair of pointed arched windows at 2nd floor flanking corbelled apex stack. Later advanced piend roofed 4-storey, 2-bay wing to right, with small single storey porch in re-entrant angle. Regular fenestration, missing to terminal bay at far right (W).

W (REAR) ELEVATION: projecting 3-storey and raised basement, 2-bay blocks to centre and right, both with 3-bay returns. Gabled central block with carriage arches at ground floor, now filled (2008). Irregular single bay, linking to 3-bay wing to left (N) with flying link to lodge. Predominantly regular rectangular fenestration.

N ELEVATION: broad 2-bay gable end with link to lodge at right (W). Single off-centre window to left at ground floor; paired pointed arched windows at first floor, grouped to centre. Pointed arched windows at 2nd floor flanking corbelled wallhead stack.

4- and 6-pane in timber sash and case windows. Multi-pitch roof; grey slates; ashlar skews and corbel skewputts; corniced ashlar ridge and wallhead stacks, partly rendered. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: converted to residential dwellings with predominantly later interiors dating from circa. 1985 onwards.

LODGE: 2-storey on raised basement lodge with similar detailing to main school on narrow triangular site. Narrow canted corner to E with regular fenestration and gabled dormer-head, blind oculus and thistle finial; similar large 1st floor windows to N and W elevations. Flying link to main block oversailing lane. Piended roof with wrought-iron finial.

Statement of Special Interest

Well detailed former Edinburgh board school in prominent site at centre of Dean Village and next to the water of Leith. The front elevation is particularly well detailed with large central gable carrying sculpted roundel panel, and belcote at gable apex. The building also makes good use of its site, with the later addition (also by Robert Wilson) containing deep basement storeys falling to the Water of Leith.

The Edinburgh School board was founded in 1872 and initiated a city wide program of school building. Robert Wilson had the post as chief architect to the School Board from the early 1870s onwards and imposed his own London Gothic style on the buildings. By the later 1880's he had adopted a classical and then a later Jacobean style. Wilson's other schools in Edinburgh include South Bridge School (see separate listing at category B), London Street School (see separate listing at category B) and the Torphicen Street School (see separate listing at category B).

List description revised as part of resurvey (2009).



Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1893-4); J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p. 391; Richard Roger, The Transformation of Edinburgh: Land, Property and Trust in the Nineteenth Century (2004) p. 489; W M Stephen, Fabric and Function: A Century of School Building in Edinburgh, (1996); (accessed 17/9/2008)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1, 3, 5 AND 7 DEAN PATH, THE OLD SCHOOL WITH FORMER LODGE, BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/06/2023 09:32