Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
NT 46648 79994
346648, 679994


Later 18th century. Imposing 3-storey house with 2nd floor lofts, within walled garden. Roughly squared and snecked rubble with ashlar dressings, some harl and concrete pointing, raised margins, cornice and eaves course. Rubble sides and rear.

S ELEVATION: 4-bay, formerly 2 entrances at ground to centre bays with later window between. Keystoned door to left with relieving arch, double panelled door, 2 corbels above. Secondary doorway to right now blocked in stone. Outer windows at ground with relieving arches. 4 windows above at 1st floor. 2nd floor has 4 smaller louvred loft openings close under eaves, resembling granary windows.

N ELEVATION: dominated by large, shouldered wallhead stack to left of centre. Gabled single storey rubble addition to left projecting at left; pantiled. Entrance at ground to right of centre with double doors, windows flanking; furher window to outer left. 3 windows at 1st floor, 2 smaller openings at 2nd floor, 1 louvred. Blank gable to W. Small openings to E at 2nd floor. 1 to loft-floor with projecting iron bar and cill, possibly from a hoist. Sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing pattern, 6-pane to smaller 2nd floor window to S. Grey slates, coped skews, scrolled skewputts. Broad, harled end stacks. Interior not seen. CARRIAGE HOUSE AND GARDEN WALLS: piend-roofed, 2-storey carriage-house to NE, corrugated sheet metal roof, set within rubble garden walls extending to N enclosing approximately 1 acre. Bee bole wall to N listed separately.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Luffness estate, the house is known locally as Sherat's house, the name of the last occupier, a market gardener. It was formerly connected with the Carmelite monastery to the E at Luffness; this was the site of the nunnery and orchard. The lofts are unusual, probably connected with the storage of produce. The house faces the Haddington road, and would have had access to the sea behind (OS Map, 1854). Aberlady was the Port of Haddington, and it is possible that this important house may have been connected with harbour trade. Probably the house referred to as The Braeheids by J P Reid.



W Forrest, Haddingtonshire, 1799. SO Map, Haddingtonshire, 1854. J P Reid HISTORICAL GUIDE TO ABERLADY (1926) p19.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ABERLADY MAIN STREET THE GARDENS WITH CARRIAGE HOUSE AND GARDEN WALLS.

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/01/2022 13:58