There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 28/03/1996
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 25284 73885
- Coordinates: 325284, 673885
Alan Reiach, Eric Hall & Partners, 1966-9. 5-storey and basement club with shops at ground below 1st floor walkway, and 7-storey accommodation tower to rear. In-situ reinforced concrete, with plate glass and Rubislaw granite facings to front, brick and concrete panels to sides and rear. 3 single unit and 1 double unit shops at ground; to centre left broad recessed doorway to club. Standard cantilevered Princes Street walkway with viewing strip. Deeply recessed entrance to club at No 86. At 1st floor, recessed bay above entrance, flanked by plate glass. 2nd and 3rd floors retain wall plane above entrance and to far right, with cantilevered blocks to left (small) and centre (large); full height plate glass fenestration to each floor, divided horizontally and vertically by granite mullions; spacing very carefully and symmetrically handled, larger proportion of glass to stone at 2nd floor reversing at 3rd; mullions project with glazed corners at 2nd floor. 4th floor set right back to create balcony, with partly cantilevered open cornice providing shelter.
Anodised aluminium window frames. Flat roof.
INTERIOR: stair with half landings rises through dark space, lit from front balcony, to 2nd floor club. Interconnecting reception rooms at front, with plain panelling. Internal stair rises off central galleried top-lit 3-storey hall. Members Dining Room incorporates Lorimer's Baroque panelling from former building, but without entablature, and with artificial top lighting. Much of the original furniture from the earlier buildings has been retained. Swimming pool and terrace on top floor. Car park in basement.
Statement of Special Interest
Consulting engineers were Blyth and Blyth, and the contractors were Robert McAlpine & Sons. In 1958 the Princes Street Panel, taking heed of suggestions going back to the 1930s, instigated a policy of introducing 1st floor walkways to all new buildings on Princes Street, with the ultimate intention of creating a continuous 2nd street. The New Club is the finest building incorporating this feature, perfectly illustrated by its slightly later continuation to the E. Reiach's building replaces that of William Burn, 1834, with later matching extension by David Bryce, 1859. It is very carefully composed, a typical feature being the definition of the beginning of the club by the cantilever at 2nd floor, and can be seen as a response to Rowand Anderson, Kininmonth and Paul's Scottish Provident office at 6 St Andrew's Square (see separate listing), or even Denys Lasdun's Royal College of Physicians, London. An urn from the parapet of Burn's building is displayed inside the club.
Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988) p312. Charles McKean EDINBURGH RIAS Guide (1992) p83. Valerie Fiddes and Alistair Rowan MR DAVID BRYCE 1803-1876 (1976) p96. H A Cockburn HISTORY OF THE NEW CLUB, EDINBURGH (1938). Sheila Forman 'The New Club' SCOTTISH FIELD September 1955. ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW November 1970 pp311-314. BUILDING 14 May 1971 pp75-9.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.