Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 29253 68564
329253, 668564


1837. Transepts, porch and gatepiers added 1882 by John G Adams. Small, simple Romanesque church. Squared and coursed cream sandstone with polished ashlar dressings to E gable, squared and snecked rubble with stugged ashlar dressings to sides and rear, stonecleaned. Base course, cill course, eaves course, corner buttresses with steep batters. Round-arched window and door openings. Grey slates, ashlar coped stack at rear.

SE ELEVATION: gable to road, buttressed at corners. Later, low central gabled and finialled porch interrupting original Venetian window; round-headed doorway with roll-moulded surround and string-mould, double timber boarded doors with large ornamental cast-iron hinges. Small window to each return. Venetian window to gable with colonnettes, simple tracery to centre light. Ashlar belfry corbelled out from gablehead, open with round arches openings supported by engaged colonnettes, corbelled cornice and conical stone roof with finial.

NE and SW ELEVATIONS: single, tall window to outer bay, later 3-bay lean-to transepts adjoining, each with central door and flanking windows and window on each return.

NW ELEVATION: harled. Round window to gable, single storey vestry adjoining at ground floor.

INTERIOR: remodelled 1882, large basket-arched opening to each transept supported by beam. Natural timber pews and high table furniture, boarded timber dado. Simple compartmentalised ceiling. Pulpit 1893, organ 1962. Stained glass of Bible stories in Venetian window gifted by Anderson family of Moredun, 1887 Anderson memorial plaque in SW aisle. Stained glass also to Torrence window (NW return of SW transept) and rose window in arched recess to NW gable.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: 2 pairs of ashlar gatepiers, probably 1883 with gablet caps linked by low rubble quadrant walls with pyramidal coping to road supporting railings. Random rubble walls to sides with rubble cope.

Statement of Special Interest

Built as a chapel of ease for Liberton Parish Church. The first Minister departed in 1843 to set up the Liberton Free Church at Northfield. The 1882 alterations were largely financed by William Ford of Fernieside who also gifted the pulpit.



NSA, 1839 p11. Gifford, McWilliam & Walker EDINBURGH (1984), p581-2.

M Cant THE VILLAGES OF EDINBURGH (1987), Vol 2, p68.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GILMERTON, 6 RAVENSCROFT STREET, GILMERTON PARISH CHURCH WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/07/2022 10:14