Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ALEXANDRIA, OVERTON ROAD, VALE OF LEVEN CEMETERY WITH MONUMENTS, BRIDGE, BOUNDARY WALL, GATES AND GATEPIERSLB43206

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/03/1996
Local Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Parish
Bonhill
NGR
NS 38470 79709
Coordinates
238470, 679709

Description

James Wilson of Greenock, 1881. Double garden cemetery on hillside overlooking Alexandria.

BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: squared and snecked red sandstone rubble with ashlar coping; decorative cast-iron pierced piers, urn finials; decorative cast-iron railings and pedestrian gate to right.

BRIDGE: carrying path over burn to secondary graveyard. Decorative entwined vescial pierced balustrade, small terminal piers with pyramidal caps.

MEMORIALS: various late 19th century memorials. Memorial to Mary Thurburn, 1889 obelisk and trumpet-blowing angel.

Kinloch family memorial; Greek memoial with funeral urn, ashlar casket beneath arch of base commemorating death of infant son of Thomas Kinloch.

Statement of Special Interest

The land on which the cemetery was built was purchased from the Smollett family. The gates and railings were maufactured in the Saracen Foundry in Glasgow.

References

Bibliography

F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (1897), p173. Iain Galbraith BY THE RIVERS OF WATER - POTRAIT OF BONHILL PARISH (1989), p65.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ALEXANDRIA, OVERTON ROAD, VALE OF LEVEN CEMETERY WITH MONUMENTS, BRIDGE, BOUNDARY WALL, GATES AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/01/2022 16:20