1862 with circa 1930 additions to sides. 2-storey, 5-bay classical temple fronted public building with addition of 1930s Modern Movement outer bays. Red sandstone ashlar; painted for 1930s additions. Base course, entablature, corncie, pediment; parapet. Bipartite round-headed windows, aprons.
E (MAIN) ELEVATION: symmetrical temple front, bounded by railings and gates (described below). Giant order Doric quatrostyle portico supporting balustraded parapet, triangular pediment rising behind at centre, datestone 1862 at centre. 5-bay building, 3 doors at centre ground, letterbox fanlight; flanking broad architraved blind windows. 5 bipartites now blocked; plain ashlar parapet rising behind balustraded parapet. 1930s curved flanking bays to outer left and right, flat-roofed with ashlar coping, strip windows symmetrically disposed at ground, 1st floor.
S ELEVATION (BRIDGE ST) : squared and snecked rubble 5-bay hall with 1930s block clasping at corner. Hall with blank bays divided by pilaster strips; single storey wing advanced at centre ground, 2-bay piend-roofed block to right, bipartite; recessed entrance to outer left, narrow round-headed door, keystone, steps.
N ELEVATION (BANK ST) : 4 broad bays, 1930s block clasping left corner. 2 bays to left, bipartite at ground, 1st floor; bays to right slightly recessed, 2 bipartites at upper stage; round-headed door, biaprtite immediately to right, door to outer right.
Windows on main elevation blocked; fixed 4-pane, top-hopper windows. Grey slate piend roof.
INTERIOR : not seen 1995.
BOUNDARY WALL AND PORTALS: low pink granite reataining wall with grey granite coping to front of builidng, decorative wrought-iron railings; Flanking Egypto-classical battered portals,keystone, cornice.