The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.
Address/Name of Site
ST JOHN STREET, ST KIERAN'S CHAPEL HOUSE, (ROMAN CATHOLIC), INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL, GATES, AND GATEPIERSLB43131
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority
- Argyll And Bute
- NR 72030 20272
- 172030, 620272
Dated 1880. 2-storey, 3-bay asymmetrical presbytery. Stugged ashlar principal front, droved at arrises, stugged rubble side and rear elevations. Base course, chamfered at top. Chamfered arrises and sloping cills at windows.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3 bays, asymmetrical, bay at right advanced and gabled. Stepped hoodmould with block stops at central entrance door, articulated around plaque with inscription reading "St Kiaran?s Chapel House 1880"; 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber entrance door with modern 12-pane glazed inner door; small pointed-arched window at floor above. Bipartite windows at ground floor outer bays. 1st floor window at left breaking eaves with gabled stone dormerhead.
SIDE ELEVATIONS: blank gables, modern brick garage at ground floor of N elevation.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 bays, near-symmetrical, lean-to centring ground floor with windows flanking at outer left and right. Stair window centring elevation below eaves, with adjacent slit window. 1st floor windows at outer bays breaking eaves with gabled stone dormerheads.
Timber sash and case windows, plate glass at ground floor of principal front, 4-pane elsewhere, modern window at 1st floor of rear elevation. Purple slate roof, bracketted and profiled cast-iron gutters and hoppers to principal front, plain cast-iron gutters and downpipes to rear elevation. Felted mono-pitch roof with ashlar skews at lean-to. Ashlar skews at principal gables with articulated shafts on bases and with chamfered copes and circular cans.
BOUNDARY WALL: droved ashlar dwarf wall with moulded cope and modern railings to St John Street. Square stop-chamfered ashlar gatepiers with bases and pyramidal caps. Random rubble wall with concrete cope, curved at corner of St John Street and Kirk Street, and terminated to S by stugged ashlar pier with pyramidal top. Wrought-iron gates and hooped railings adjoining pier and garage.
Statement of Special Interest
Although in itself a plain building, the presbytery is of good quality construction and, with the church, forms an eye-catching group along the north side of St John Street.
No Bibliography entries for this designation
About Listed Buildings
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.
We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.
Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)
Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.
These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.
While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.
If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.
Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST JOHN STREET, ST KIERAN'S CHAPEL HOUSE, (ROMAN CATHOLIC), INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL, GATES, AND GATEPIERS
There are no images available for this record.