Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ST JOHN STREET, ST KIERAN'S CHAPEL, (ROMAN CATHOLIC), INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL, GATES, AND GATEPIERSLB43130

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
28/03/1996
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Campbeltown
NGR
NR 72011 20272
Coordinates
172011, 620272

Description

1849-50. Gothic church of rectangular plan with canted NW end elevation. Polished ashlar principal front, roughcast walls to sides and rear with droved ashlar dressings.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3 bays, symmetrical, base course, moulded string course below cills. Centre bay advanced at ground floor, pointed-arched entrance door with moulded reveals, hoodmould over with floreate stops and engaged cross at apex. Sloping cill to pointed-arched window above, hoodmould over with carved mask stops. Gable above surmounted by carved cross. 3-tier battered buttresses flanking centre bay, filleted nook shafts to middle tier, panelled upper tier with crocketted pinnacles. Tall pointed-arch windows to outer bays with hoodmoulds above. 3-tier angle buttresses to outer left and right with stop chamfered upper tier and pinnacles as above. Moulded skew cope to gable, carved ashlar cross at apex.

SW ELEVATION: 3 bays, tall pointed-arch windows to each bay with stone Y-tracery and transoms, chamfered arrises and sloping cills. Ashlar margins at corners and eaves cornice.

NW ELEVATION: mirror image of SW elevation.

NW ELEVATION: 3-bay canted end elevation, windows matching side elevations at outer bays, single-storey lean to at centre bay.

Leaded glazing with coloured glass borders to windows of side and NW elevations. Timber mullions to SE windows, 3 circlets in arch-heads of centre window, single circlets to outer windows. 2-leaf, 4-panel timber entrance doors. Grey slate piended and bellcast roof to hall, mono-pitch roof to lean-to. Cast-iron downpipes. Octagonal ashlar wallhead stack, corniced with square base, centring rear elevation.

INTERIOR: modern interior (including false ceiling) of circa 1960. Monument to James Cattenach NW corner

BOUNDARY WALL: droved ashlar dwarf wall with moulded cope (railings removed) to St. John Street, terminated to S by square stop-chamfered ashlar pier with base and ogee cap. Matching gatepiers with pyramidal caps, cast-iron gate with decorative finials depicting crown, thistle, rose and shamrock.

Statement of Special Interest

According to the Catholic Directory, the original of the present St Kieran's Church was built in 1809, and the present one on the same site in 1849-50. It underwent extensive interior alteration in the early 1960?s. A memorial plaque to the front of the church reads when translated from Latin: "Pray for James Cattenah, a priest of this parish, who after working for 55 years, died in 1836, at the age of 85". It is thought that he was the priest that supervised the building of the first church in 1809. A local legend states that he obtained a lease of the ground for a long as he himself remained there. To ensure perpetuity he arranged that at his death he would be buried in this piece of ground, apparently near or under the altar of the old chapel. The principal gable of this buildings makes a stiking centrepiece to this section of St John Street.

References

Bibliography

ORDNANCE PLAN OF CAMPBELTOWN (1868) "Campbeltown Week" Publications CAMPBELTOWN 1700-1950 p38 Norman S Newton CAMPBELTOWN?S CHURCHES (1991) p13.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST JOHN STREET, ST KIERAN'S CHAPEL, (ROMAN CATHOLIC), INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL, GATES, AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 22:36